Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.12 For Linux Is A Mixed Bag

I like Catalyst. It works fine for me.

I got only a single problem with latest two releases (KWin crashes with desktop effect enabled if "Scale method" is set to the default "Accurate" value...).

I don't want to give the impression im trolling AMD, but seriously, i'm really used to GNOME shell, and I don't feel like switching to something else because my graphics card doesn't want to work with it.
    The temporary solution is to use the open source graphics, but well, if I knew I was going to be stuck with poor OpenGL performance, I would have rather chosen Intel and saved a lot of money.
    If I simply don't get an estimation on when some bug is going to be fixed, I can't just wait for ever.

What would make me really really happy? To see AMD kill FGLRX and focus on the Open Source driver.. but thats not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you saying the driver has not improved, or just that there are things you still don't like ?
    It fails to catch up. Yes, if I install a Linux distro from 2007, then it has improved. But in 2011, I expect certain things that were not there in 2007. And in this regard, fglrx fails. Yes, those things will be fixed by 2015. But by them, I will again expect more things that will be considered standard at that point.

And then there's the bugs. Is there any chance the input lag will be fixed when enabling the "Tear-free" option? Will we ever get correct colors with Xv?

I do think it would be nice if fglrx was dropped on linux altogether. The radeon driver is better in every way except for opengl/glsl and power management. For now, my temporary solution is running the fglrx driver on tear-free mode without compositing on.

Default :-(

Quote Originally Posted by frie2 View Post
    I do think it would be nice if fglrx was dropped on linux altogether. The radeon driver is better in every way except for opengl/glsl and power management. For now, my temporary solution is running the fglrx driver on tear-free mode without compositing on.
    Well, if i look at what the catalyst is doing for me, the conclusion is: the thing really is dropped on linux already. This crap has been nonfunctional with my preferred desktop (gnome 3) all the time. So for me, the driver package is non-existent. This company is dead to me. Completely.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    So yeah, FGLRX is bad, NVIDIA is bad, opensource drivers are bad, Intel's cards are underpowered... Pick your poison.
    You forgot those: it's never the user's fault... Nor do the driver ever happen to uncover a bug in another package... The list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by GrrlTlak View Post
    Well, if i look at what the catalyst is doing for me, the conclusion is: the thing really is dropped on linux already. This crap has been nonfunctional with my preferred desktop (gnome 3) all the time. So for me, the driver package is non-existent. This company is dead to me. Completely.
    Unreliable Proprietary Software and Me: This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby! by DaemonFC

... a sad state of affairs....
    And to say I just ordered a 6870.... I'm beginning to regret my purchase without even having receiving it yet.
    Using windows makes me sad.
    It looks like my next card in 2 years will be nvidia

First of all you can certainly use Linux, KDE works ok with fglrx, maybe a few delays here and there, but you could think that is normal when you don't have got a comparison. If you want to use video players in default config stay away of xserver 1.11 until the xv crashing bug is fixed. The new xbmc branch with xvba support may be worth a try as well when you dont have got h264 l5.1 videos. Just dont expect miracles from fglrx, when there is a bug in one driver release be sure it will be in the next 2-3 releases as well especially because of the well known extra stupid release way, nobody needs 12 half backed drivers, just a driver after every new kernel/xorg release which are fully compatible. Or at least preview drivers to see if they will fix something... That this release way does not work is 100% clear, as you see the same when you search for a rage performance driver, there have been 2 official release drivers, none of em with all rage fixes, but at least 4 preview drivers with special fixes, maybe i forgot one or two...

Default Noticable improvements but still some way to go

With GNOME3, gnome-shell has not crashed for two days. That is a good step forward,
    However, The overall performance is still a bit choppy, as if the overall screen refresh rate was like 15Hz or so.
    It affects everything - moving windows, the overview screen transistions and video playback.
    That does not happen at all in Gnome3 fallback mode, nor with the xfce desktop.