Thread: X.Org Multi-Touch Support Finally Set To Land

Default X.Org Multi-Touch Support Finally Set To Land

Phoronix: X.Org Multi-Touch Support Finally Set To Land

Multi-touch support is finally ready for the X.Org world! Peter Hutterer has submitted the patches for X.Org Server 1.12 that deliver on multi-touch support with the X Input 2.2 extension...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyODc

Great news. The faster Linux has complete multi-touch the better to make up lost time in the tablet/moble market.

I just have one burning question: What took 'em so damn long?
    What is so inherently difficult about MT that the X.org support was delayed for so long while even now the support "is not yet perfect"?

Glad to hear that, that should help projects like Plasma Active quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    What is so inherently difficult about MT that the X.org support was delayed for so long while even now the support "is not yet perfect"?
    I'm only guessing but X.org would be adding a hardware-interface to multitouch, and giving abstraction too for over a network xorg session.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    X already has three separate input protocols (original core input, Xi 1.x, and Xi 2.x) which need to operate in parallel, and the touch support adds a fourth. Additionally, the grab model makes life very difficult (as evidenced by the years it took to develop MPX), and since no other systems rely on grabs, we had to work it all out for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    X already has three separate input protocols (original core input, Xi 1.x, and Xi 2.x) which need to operate in parallel, and the touch support adds a fourth. Additionally, the grab model makes life very difficult (as evidenced by the years it took to develop MPX), and since no other systems rely on grabs, we had to work it all out for ourselves.
    Thanks for the response, and for all the hard work. I've been looking forward to the day that my Macbook's touchpad works as well in gnome shell as it does in Mac OS.