Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Open-Sources Its CUDA Compiler

Default NVIDIA Open-Sources Its CUDA Compiler

Phoronix: NVIDIA Open-Sources Its CUDA Compiler

It's not often that there's open-source news to report from the NVIDIA camp, but there's some great news this morning. NVIDIA Corp has open-sourced its CUDA compiler!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyODI

cuda for ati?

AMD your turn. Open up your optimizing shader compiler, and finish with this d*ck measuring

cuda for ati, Physix for Ati?

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    AMD your turn. Open up your optimizing shader compiler, and finish with this d*ck measuring
    well ati still has the biggest dick in open source

NVIDIA: NVIDIA Opens Up CUDA Platform by Releasing Compiler Source Code
    Phoronix: NVIDIA Open-Sources Its CUDA Compiler
    These are not necessarily the same things. You cannot know if it's open source until you know under what license the code is released. Which as you stated you don't know.

it's not known at the moment under which license NVIDIA is releasing the CUDA compiler.
    You can read here what qualifies as open source: http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

Is this a fluke or do you think they really are worried about ATI's opensource efforts

Default Physx

from what I've read elsewhere (the source eludes me), AMD wasn't interested in promoting CUDA, which is why we don't have physx on radeons yet, though Nvidia was open to it. Maybe now we can do it ourselves?

So we now have an LLVM-based CUDA compiler... and AMD has just released an LLVM-based r600g back-end...

IF (and that's a big IF) Nvidia releases the CUDA compiler under a compatible license, we might eventually get any gallium-based driver to be able to execute CUDA-based applications. There's lots of caveats attached (biggest probably being that CUDA code is compiled at program compile time, although I think there's a run-time loader available), but it's something that someone could probably get working.

Honestly, I'd rather use OpenCL for portability, but it'd be nice to be able to run CUDA applications on Nouveau/Radeon in the future.