Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Default Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Phoronix: Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Razor-Qt is a new Qt-based desktop environment for Linux systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyOTg

Cool! I'd never heard of this one. I really like Qt, but I can't stand KDE. I've never tried using it for more than hours at a time, but it's just so ugly and I can't get past it. This one looked nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Cool! I'd never heard of this one. I really like Qt, but I can't stand KDE. I've never tried using it for more than hours at a time, but it's just so ugly and I can't get past it. This one looked nice!
    Neither did i, but i saw it in planet kde (yes!).
    So i gave Michael the tip and he made a news post

Gonna install it now and see how it works.

So do I.

By the way will it be ported to wayland ?

From the blog posting this really sounds like a winner of a light desktop environment and Qt based apps will run fine natively in this environment

Quote Originally Posted by babali View Post
    By the way will it be ported to wayland ?
    There's very little to no porting to Wayland as it doesn't offer a windowmanager nor a display manager. Pure Qt software will work on Wayland without any additional work(?) after Qt 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    There's very little to no porting to Wayland as it doesn't offer a windowmanager nor a display manager. Pure Qt software will work on Wayland without any additional work(?) after Qt 5.0.
    At this moment it will certainly not work on wayland.
    If you look at the sources you will see that some parts (like the panel) have some need of x11 headers.. And i thought i saw it somewhere else as well.
    Sure, it's minor for the simple reason that all of Razor-Qt is just 5MB. Which is extremely tiny compared to KDE

Running razer-qt now and well.. it works, that's for sure.
    There are theme issues like some apps get the native Qt theme from KDE and some others get the Qt one that you see if you have absolutely no theme at all (like the razer config window). That same window isn't even honoring it's own setting of single click actions.

It has it's issues but probably works awesome if you don't want desktop effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    So let's hear from you, the new Picasso, a better looking DE than the KDE you are talking about!

judging from the screenshots it suffers from the same horrible aesthetics as KDE + a windowy touch to add to the horribleness