Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,327

    Default Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

    Phoronix: Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

    OpenSUSE 12.1 introduced support for systemd but it didn't defenestrate SysVinit as there are still some dependencies on this older init system. However, there's a proposal now to completely phase out SysVinit within openSUSE and it's been met by some mixed views...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzMDg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Until RC I had some issues with systemd, but ever since 12.1 final was released not one problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    590

    Default

    I have used it on a desktop almost a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever (aside from few mistakes of my own). Once you try systemd there's no going back. This is just awesome.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I've been using systemd for 1 year on my arch installation. Some troubles at the very beginning, but running perfect since then.

    Teho is right, once you try systemd, there's no going back.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Systemd has huge issues with NFS shares in openSUSE 12.1. It tries to mount before the service is started which leads to boot times measured in minutes. Switching back to SysVinit however resolves the issue and boot times are back to around the 30 second mark.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    Never had any problems here whatsoever, and I have been using systemd since openSUSE 12.1 RC1 on two separate machines.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Systemd has huge issues with NFS shares in openSUSE 12.1. It tries to mount before the service is started which leads to boot times measured in minutes. Switching back to SysVinit however resolves the issue and boot times are back to around the 30 second mark.
    That doesn't sound at all like a bug in systemd, but in opensuse's configuration of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper_Scull View Post
    I've been using systemd for 1 year on my arch installation. Some troubles at the very beginning, but running perfect since then.

    Teho is right, once you try systemd, there's no going back.
    I used systemd on arch for a while, but I'm back with sysvinit. Its just simpler to configure. And TBH on my machine I get no difference in boot time with systemd (and yes when I used it I used a "pure" systemd setup, with only native systemd units). The biggest improvement I get with my boot time in arch is using fedora-readahead + a light login manager (Right now I am quite liking LXDM)

    I'm already getting 15-17 seconds to a usable XFCE desktop with compiz/emerald/dockbarx on a 5400rpm laptop drive anyway
    Last edited by bwat47; 12-20-2011 at 02:12 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    I used systemd on arch for a while, but I'm back with sysvinit. Its just simpler to configure.
    Yeah right, except that it isn't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •