Thread: Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

Hybrid View

Default Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

Phoronix: Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

OpenSUSE 12.1 introduced support for systemd but it didn't defenestrate SysVinit as there are still some dependencies on this older init system. However, there's a proposal now to completely phase out SysVinit within openSUSE and it's been met by some mixed views...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzMDg

Until RC I had some issues with systemd, but ever since 12.1 final was released not one problem.

I have used it on a desktop almost a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever (aside from few mistakes of my own). Once you try systemd there's no going back. This is just awesome.

I've been using systemd for 1 year on my arch installation. Some troubles at the very beginning, but running perfect since then.

Teho is right, once you try systemd, there's no going back.

Systemd has huge issues with NFS shares in openSUSE 12.1. It tries to mount before the service is started which leads to boot times measured in minutes. Switching back to SysVinit however resolves the issue and boot times are back to around the 30 second mark.

Never had any problems here whatsoever, and I have been using systemd since openSUSE 12.1 RC1 on two separate machines.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Systemd has huge issues with NFS shares in openSUSE 12.1. It tries to mount before the service is started which leads to boot times measured in minutes. Switching back to SysVinit however resolves the issue and boot times are back to around the 30 second mark.
    That doesn't sound at all like a bug in systemd, but in opensuse's configuration of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper_Scull View Post
    I've been using systemd for 1 year on my arch installation. Some troubles at the very beginning, but running perfect since then.

Teho is right, once you try systemd, there's no going back.
    I used systemd on arch for a while, but I'm back with sysvinit. Its just simpler to configure. And TBH on my machine I get no difference in boot time with systemd (and yes when I used it I used a "pure" systemd setup, with only native systemd units). The biggest improvement I get with my boot time in arch is using fedora-readahead + a light login manager (Right now I am quite liking LXDM)

I'm already getting 15-17 seconds to a usable XFCE desktop with compiz/emerald/dockbarx on a 5400rpm laptop drive anyway
    Last edited by bwat47; 12-20-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    I used systemd on arch for a while, but I'm back with sysvinit. Its just simpler to configure.
    Yeah right, except that it isn't.