Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: American Red Cross continues policy of homophobia and propaganda. / Humble Bundle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default American Red Cross continues policy of homophobia and propaganda. / Humble Bundle

    The Humble Bundle removed their option to donate to the Electronic Frontier Foundation which is what I usually include extra money to donate to. This time I noticed they replaced it with the American Red Cross.

    It infuriates me that an organization with an ongoing anti-gay smear campaign can qualify as a charity.

    You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV... You are at risk for getting infected if you:

    have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor
    are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977
    have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977
    have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above
    received clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
    were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.
    since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or
    had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.
    This policy is part of an organized right-wing anti-gay smear campaign that has gone on for decades, under which I as a healthy disease free gay man cannot give blood, but some wine-o who has unprotected sex with many members of the opposite sex and frequently risks coming into contact with STDs is more than able to give blood.

    Over the years, the American Red Cross has issued far right wing propaganda and lies designed to make the AIDS epidemic seem disproportionately skewed towards gay men. It isn't. If anything, straight people seem to be engaging in more risky behavior and promoting the idea that unsafe sexual practices and skipping on condom use is OK. The political and religious far right in America has completely eviscerated responsible sex education and has replaced it with failed abstinence-only policies which has led to an explosion in the rate of unwanted teenage pregnancies and the STD rate.

    I therefore, in good conscience, cannot support this "charity" and will be giving my full donation to Child's Play instead. I ask that others do the same. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    in this humble indie bundle i only spend 6dollar with ZERO 0% to charity because i don't like the red-cross-shit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    A) Living or receiving blood transfusions in certain high-risk African countries since 1977 = permanent risk.
    B) Sex with people in group A = permanent risk
    C) Sex for money or with men or using non-prescription injections at all since 1977 = permanent risk
    D) Sex with people in group C = risk goes away after a year

    LOL WUT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    A) Living or receiving blood transfusions in certain high-risk African countries since 1977 = permanent risk.
    B) Sex with people in group A = permanent risk
    C) Sex for money or with men or using non-prescription injections at all since 1977 = permanent risk
    D) Sex with people in group C = risk goes away after a year

    LOL WUT
    It's what you get when an organization is ran by politicians and religious ideologues instead of scientists and public health officials.

    I wonder how much the far-right Christian groups pay the US politicians to throw all the scientific fact into the shredder and make shit up as they go along....

    What's even more horrific is they pretend that before 1977, HIV didn't exist at all. It's confirmed to have been in the US since at least 1959. They're probably too afraid to go back and reopen this issue because they'll have to revisit the fact that straight people get HIV too, and this time it won't be as easy to sweep the facts under the rug as it was when someone drew up the policies they have now back in the 80s.
    Last edited by DaemonFC; 12-23-2011 at 08:43 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,159

    Default

    A shame I didn't see this before I bought the Humble Bundle. If they will include this organisation in the next pack, they won't get any money from me. What is going on with all the anti-gay campaigns in the US and republican candidates even declaring this as a reason why people should vote them? WTF?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Over the years, the American Red Cross has issued far right wing propaganda and lies designed to make the AIDS epidemic seem disproportionately skewed towards gay men. It isn't.
    Yes it is.

    Gay and bisexual men — referred to in CDC surveillance systems as men who have sex with men (MSM) — of all races
    continue to be the risk group most severely affected by HIV.

    • MSM account for nearly half of the approximately 1.2 million people living with HIV in the United States (49%, or an estimated 580,000 total persons).
    • MSM account for more than half of all new HIV infections in the United States each year (61%, or an estimated 29,300 infections).
    • While CDC estimates that only 4 percent of men in the United States are MSM, the rate of new HIV diagnoses among MSM in the United States is more than 44 times that of other men (range: 522 – 989 per 100,000 MSM vs. 12 per 100,000 other men).
    I suppose the CDC is also 'homophobic' ? LOL.

    Sorry dude, but the science and statistics are not on your side. I'd rather have a few oversensitive homosexuals feel discriminated against than the American Red Cross putting lives at risk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    I personally have no objections against, but for too, any gay or lesbian people, except they start organizing demonstrations wearing penises all around, combined with mass orgies or try to seduct or convert children into that.
    I understand it as personal choice and I respect that.

    But I donīt understand how refusing to take gay man blood contributes to anti-gay movement.

    And, I donīt understand why they removed EFF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    I wonder how much the far-right Christian groups pay the US politicians to throw all the scientific fact into the shredder and make shit up as they go along....
    I think you missunderstand "far right". Being pro gay OR contra gay - BOTH makes you "far right". Group that fights actively FOR something by destroying any choice is "far right".

    Taking amount of children misuse and (hidden) gay relations amount Christian ranks - all due to illness known as celibacy, I wouldnīt claim Christians are against homosexual people. Maybe with exception you start to provoke, flirt or seduct someone, who has different view - which is called sexual obuse, and he will be right; or by those very orthodox folks who believe world is earth and earth is flat.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 12-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    I personally have no objections against, but for too, any gay or lesbian people, except they start organizing demonstrations wearing penises all around, combined with mass orgies or try to seduct or convert children into that.
    I understand it as personal choice and I respect that.

    But I donīt understand how refusing to take gay man blood contributes to anti-gay movement.

    And, I donīt understand why they removed EFF ?


    I think you missunderstand "far right". Being pro gay OR contra gay - BOTH makes you "far right". Group that fights actively FOR something by destroying any choice is "far right".

    Taking amount of children misuse and (hidden) gay relations amount Christian ranks - all due to illness known as celibacy, I wouldnīt claim Christians are against homosexual people. Maybe with exception you start to provoke, flirt or seduct someone, who has different view - which is called sexual obuse, and he will be right; or by those very orthodox folks who believe world is earth and earth is flat.
    Those priests are not gay. They are child molesting pervert pedophiles and should be thrown in jail, to never see the light of day again. People try to suggest child molestation is just a "Gay thing", it's not. There are plenty of perverted men that prey on little girls. I suppose that makes them gay...

    herp derp

    What we do have is a system that lets the Catholic church participate in the crime without any legal consequences because they are a church, by hiding the priests that do it once they become aware of what's going on instead of reporting them to the proper authorities.

    Suggesting that crimes against children is about sexual orientation is like trying to connect bank robberies to it. It's absurd. It's only done so that you can make up a straw man.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Yes it is.



    I suppose the CDC is also 'homophobic' ? LOL.

    Sorry dude, but the science and statistics are not on your side. I'd rather have a few oversensitive homosexuals feel discriminated against than the American Red Cross putting lives at risk.
    The CDC is the one that goes around panicking people that the flu season will be the end of the world every year so that big pharma can sell everyone shots they don't need. They have long since stopped being an organization dedicated to the science of public health. Their anti-gay agenda started when the Reagan administration found out about HIV and tried connecting the dots to gays and minorities so nobody would care.

    Of course, Reagan was a religious bigot, so he probably was one of the ones that was hoping that it would be a way for his god to pick off all the minorities that he didn't like. HIV only started getting attention once it became obvious that it was a problem of straight white affluent people in the United States as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Of course, "God" (genetics) punished Reagan by making him spend his last years shitting himself and not knowing what planet he was on.

    I have a hard time feeling sorry for the SOB.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •