Page 44 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ask ATI" dev thread

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Bug... ok, help me understand something. Are folks asking if we dropped 3xx/4xx from the driver because of something specific (removal of IDs etc..) or just because of a bug ?
    Since 8.10, fglrx doesn't work with R300-Hardware, anymore. Because you guys at ATI never tell us anything, we don't know if it's a bug or if R300-Support was dropped.
    Last edited by Stormking; 11-19-2008 at 01:49 PM.

I asked around - no change in support and driver seems to work on 3xx/4xx in house, so sounds like a bug. What is the issue you are seeing ?

Seems to work - funny - not even in nexuiz a res change is possible since 8-9 (xorg 7.1.1, rv410).

OK, but help me here. Inability to change resolutions inside a game is hardly something that would constitute "dropping support", is it ? I had assumed there was a bigger, more blatant problem involved.

Well some with newer chips say it would work, can't verify due to missing hardware. So older hw support seems to be even more broken than newer one. Btw. I found out that

gl2benchmark -sceneselect 3

would work (4 might segfault directly), but when test 1 or 2 was done then test 3 will not work. Something breaks pointsprites in that case - last fully working driver for that bench was 8.40.4 - think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I asked around - no change in support and driver seems to work on 3xx/4xx in house, so sounds like a bug. What is the issue you are seeing ?
    People experiencing this bug cannot insert the kernel module. One gets the following error message:
    Code:
    [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
    [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device heads
    [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed
    More reports here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/284408

My Xorg log reports "screen not found" when I try to reboot and drops me to command prompt (8.10 and 8.11). WHen I try to run aticonfig --initial I get a segmentation fault.

Running ubuntu intepid (8.10) on a Toshiba M30X with Radeon mobility 9600 m10. 8.9 worked a treat (on hardy) but 8.9 will not work on intrepid due to xorg server versions and catalyst 8.10 and 8.11 refuse to recognise hardware it would appear.

Edit: The logs also indicate a whole bunch of unknown symbols (can't say which as currently in work)
    Last edited by porksome; 11-20-2008 at 09:18 AM.

I just wondered: When Gallium3d will be ready, will fglrx also be converted to be a Gallium3d-driver and to use the same OpenGl-thing (don't know what it's called... the thing that implements OpenGl-functionality on top of a Gallium3d-driver).

Isn't ATI's OpenGL implementation supposed to be faster?

I am no ATI dev, but I don't think they'll do this.
    They have a pretty fast&solid OpenGL implementation, so they would not gain anything by throwing away what they have now and implement it from scratch.
    Furthermore I guess Gallium3D means a completly free and open 3D driver, which won't happen. You'll see free drivers providing 3D developed by novell and paid by AMD - but with nowehere near the performance of the closed implementation.