Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ask ATI" dev thread

Default Hybrid Crossfire

Bridgman, which cards specifically support Hybrid Crossfire?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, maybe I'm confused. Your post said a Kubuntu 9.04 backport, what am I missing ?
    i say only the kernel was a backport by kano!

but yes kanos radeon 6.10 patch save me for today...

in debian 5 radeon do not work radeonhd do not work only vesa in some settings work badly

Ahh, ok, just the kernel is a backport. Got it.

Next dumb question... isn't Debian 5 Lenny, not Sid these days ? I still find that confusing, some folks talk about Sid as "master", Lenny as "testing" and Edge as "stable" on a permanent basis, but it seems more like releases flow through those branches, ie testing = Lenny today but a year from now testing might be something different. You guys probably understand that way better than I do.

There don't seem to be any inherent incompatibilities between radeon/radeonhd and Sid or Lenny; is there any chance your versions were just too old and the 6.10 patch was simply getting you a sufficiently recent driver to support your card ?

EnderAndrew; AFAIK it's just cards which have a similar 3D core, so with a 780 I think HD2400 definitely, HD34xx almost definitely, anything else probably not. The 43xx and 45xx have roughly twice the shader power of a 24xx/34xx so I don't think they would work well in Crossfire with a 780.

Ahh, ok, just the kernel is a backport. Got it.

Next dumb question... isn't Debian 5 Lenny, not Sid these days ? I still find that confusing, some folks talk about Sid as "master", Lenny as "testing" and Edge as "stable" on a permanent basis, but it seems more like releases flow through those branches, ie testing = Lenny today but a year from now testing might be something different. You guys probably understand that way better than I do.

There don't seem to be any inherent incompatibilities between radeon/radeonhd and Sid or Lenny; is there any chance your versions were just too old and the 6.10 patch was simply getting you a sufficiently recent driver to support your card ?

EnderAndrew; AFAIK it's just cards which have a similar 3D core, so with a 780 I think HD2400 definitely, HD34xx almost definitely, anything else probably not. The 43xx and 45xx have roughly twice the shader power of a 24xx/34xx so I don't think they would work well in Crossfire with a 780.
    my system is "SID" but be sure my problem is old. last year 8.11 comes out i have test with the 8.12beta and i see blackscreen first time. so i report this.. so 8.12 comes out and i test for me 9.1 beta and i report black screen again. so 9,1 comes out and i test 9.2beta and i test black screen again..

If Sid is the development branch of Debian (as I understand it) then as we add support for the last version it will probably be changing to something we don't support with fglrx. Honestly, I really don't expect that running fglrx with the latest Sid is *ever* going to be a Good Thing -- fglrx is still aimed primarily at RHEL, SLES/SLED, Ubuntu and similar distros -- not the development-oriented releases and alphas/betas.

I'm not *promising* black screens but honestly the best thing would be for the developers working in Sid to keep the open source graphics drivers relatively up to date instead.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-30-2009 at 07:26 PM.

If Sid is the development branch of Debian (as I understand it) then as we add support for the last version it will probably be changing to something we don't support with fglrx. Honestly, I really don't expect that running fglrx with the latest Sid is *ever* going to be a Good Thing.

I'm not *promising* black screens but honestly the best thing would be for the developers working in Sid to keep the open source graphics drivers relatively up to date instead.
    come one.. i know that all... sid is in freeze.. sis=debian5 ...

experimantal is the true unstable at this time.

if you want i can install an other "debian" 4 mybe..

but in debian 4 i never see a color.. only blackscreen..

Kubuntu 8.10 do not start =blackscreen..

Kubuntu8.04=blackscreen...

Kubuntu9.04alpfa3=work.. but yes no catalyst.

Just to be clear, do you mean 8.10 blackscreens *today* with the latest driver or 8.10 blackscreened in the past when it was either pre-release or just released ?

If Sid is Debian 5 then what is Lenny these days ? Maybe I'm the only one who gets confused by this, I don't know

Just to be clear, do you mean 8.10 blackscreens *today* with the latest driver or 8.10 blackscreened in the past when it was either pre-release or just released ?

If Sid is Debian 5 then what is Lenny these days ? Maybe I'm the only one who gets confused by this, I don't know
    ubuntu8.10 cant start as a fresh CD ... only init 3.. so if you install that and install the catalyst manualy in init3... so you can start thats true..

but i only test this with my old cart 3850.. my new one 4350 is the problem child...

i think my problem is a debian problem only...

so the install skript dont but the wrong xorg version on the way i think..

debian sid is in freeze for debian 5.. aka lenny but yes in 1-2 weeks debian 5 comes out and then experimental comes to sid..

then you can say o no sid is to moving target ...

If Sid is Debian 5 [...] I don't know
    i think you realy do know what i mean.

i know one of your team guys test debian in the last week and he found a lot of problems in the catalyst and the uploards the fglrx-driver 1:8-12-4 to the debian repo... catalyst 8.12....

but no effekt 4350 is still buggy black-screen in all ways. (only opensorce driver work 2D ....)

a frend have a 4850/4870 and 9.1 works. so i think its an only a 4350 problem ....
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 01-30-2009 at 09:05 PM.

If Sid is the development branch of Debian[...]
    sid or not this brings you only time 1 or 3 weeks.. becourse debian5 will comes out in 1-2 weeks.

and the problem of the catalyst is simple xorg7,4+kernel2,6,28 works fine Ubuntu way if live.. xorg7,3+kernel2,6,26/28 DO NOT work... becourse the install skript of the fglrx do not set the xorg7,3debian way...

so i agree the catalyst can't support sid/experimental but amd sould support debian 5 and they realy want bring debian 5 in this form of way xorg7,3+kernel2.6.26