Thread: Intel HD Graphics in a productive environment

Question Intel HD Graphics in a productive environment

I was wondering if anyone out there is using Intel HD Graphics (Sandybridge) in a productive desktop environment.

My problem is that the drivers are really unstable.

Early this year, when I bought my new computer with a i3 processor, the graphics part were completely unusable.

The desktop crashed every time after a little spare time.

This could be fixed by using the most bleeding edge drivers and dependencies out of the xorg-edgers-ppa repository.

Regardless, there were still crashes on many opengl accelerated applications / games, and i switched over to a dedicated nvidia graphics card,
    not without filling in a bug report for every error that appeared to me.

At christmas this year, i gave my nvidia graphics card to my father so he could run a dual monitor setup.

I thought, nearly twelve months were enough for the intel developers to fix the drivers. This was not the case.

I got again reproducible errors, even when I try to watch an ogv video with vlc, totem or any other video player.

The GPU locks, I get a lot of hangcheck timer entries in dmesg and a big i915_error_state in debugfs.

I am looking forward for any ideas that do not belong in writing another bunch of bug reports and a non usable system.

Thanks!

Dont use composite and everything will be more stable. In KDE you can disable effects or use xrender backend. Both fix the instablities in most cases.

Ive tried several solutions for my problem, but even with naked X, I get a system freeze when I start a video player with hardware acceleration enabled.

I could buy a low cost nvidia graphics card for just a few bucks, but i would prefer to have audio over hdmi (what works fine) and lower power consumption through using the intel integrated hd 2000 graphics.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!