Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

Hybrid View

Default ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

They're finally here! Grab them over at ATI.

Release Notes (New Features):

# Hotplug Support for Digital Flat Panels
    # Thermal Event Power Management
    Phoronix 8.26.18 Coverage:

After two delays this month ATI Technologies today released their CATALYST 6.6 and fglrx v8.26.18 drivers. Contained in the ATI Linux drivers are a fair amount of changes beyond what was found in last month's (also belated) 8.25.18 driver release. We have detailed these changes and looked after the display driver performance...
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=6879

Few other tidbits to discuss.... atieventsd, dynamic display management, R200 support still not fixed, possibility of Overdrive in the near future, X.Org 7.1 support coming soon.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-26-2006 at 02:34 PM.

The Lenovo ThinkPad T60 coincidentally arrived this morning. Just finished wiping the drive, and throwing Fedora Core 5 on there with a few updates. Using the ATI 8.26.18 drivers, it had no problem with the automatic installation option, and instantly recognized the ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 with 128MB of dedicated video memory. I have yet to try out the new IBM/Lenovo display switching with the atieventsd, however, that will come shortly. The T60 was using the 2.6.17 kernel with the 8.26.18 drivers. More of these mobile reports will come soon.

Unhappy

Alt-Fn switch back from textmode console to X still broken for me. System completely hang.
    My spec:
    Fedora Core 5 kernel 2.6.17
    Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 256M AGP
    EPoX nForce3-250 based motherboard

I'm write small notes about tests on my blog.

DANG! I haven't even installed the previous version and another one is out!!!

If there's any problems, I'll let everyone know.

Unhappy Debian etch problem.

I've grabbed the drviers as soon as they've come out but I'm frustrated.
    I'm using debian/etch (a mixed selection of packages from stable / unstable / testing).

I've uninstalled the other ones (8.25.x), installed 8.26 but failed. Wanted a X.org 7.0.0. Made an upgrade to X and sucseeded to install...
    Also the kernel module installation was smooth and successful...

Now the problem is, while the kernel module says that it enabled direct rendering, I cannot use it over KDE. I'm getting mesa indirect over SGI.

does anybody have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Oops! I forgot. I'm running a Sapphire X1600Pro (512M) over PCIe and Kernel module reports it has 256M ram. Maybe a workaround

Edit for grammatical errors etc.
    Last edited by Silent Storm; 06-27-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Storm
    I've grabbed the drviers as soon as they've come out but I'm frustrated.
    I'm using debian/etch (a mixed selection of packages from stable / unstable / testing).

I've uninstalled the other ones (8.25.x), installed 8.26 but failed. Wanted a X.org 7.0.0. Made an upgrade to X and sucseeded to install...
    Also the kernel module installation was smooth and successful...

Now the problem is, while the kernel module says that it enabled direct rendering, I cannot use it over KDE. I'm getting mesa indirect over SGI.

does anybody have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Oops! I forgot. I'm running a Sapphire X1600Pro (512M) over PCIe and Kernel module reports it has 256M ram. Maybe a workaround

Edit for grammatical errors etc.
    It sounds as though you have not used the native packages (in etch), or the installer specific packages. This would most likely result in two libGL.so's being around.

Please run 'LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fglrxinfo' and post the results. Most likely it is using the one from /usr/lib/libGL.so rather than the ATI one installed in /usr/X11R6/lib.

Regards,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by dmlog
    Alt-Fn switch back from textmode console to X still broken for me. System completely hang.
    My spec:
    Fedora Core 5 kernel 2.6.17
    Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 256M AGP
    EPoX nForce3-250 based motherboard

I'm write small notes about tests on my blog.
    I had this same trouble awhile back. I solved it by changing my xorg.conf keyboard section to read pc105 instead of pc104, perhaps the same will work for you.

Default Things seem fine with x1600 and fc5_x64 - 2.6.17

Ok so things are working now. Just a brief explaination of what happened in the meantime.
    I think the problem that I was having was that the aticonfig script was somehow not changing the driver reference in the xorg.conf file properly. I tried to do it manually but I could not edit the file for some weird reason. I think it might have been because I was running out of space on the /usr partition. Can't quite understand how it got full but that does not explain why I could not write to /etc.
    Anyway, since I had to redo the disk to get more space I decided to do a clean install. Spent all day doing that and then updates, all this on a not very fast link, so it really did take all day.
    Added livna after doing the updates and then installed the 8.26.18 driver. Works beautifully now. Right now running dual desktop and it seems fine. I will try google earth soon to see if that works. Will let you know what happens with that.
    Thanks for all the valuable help Michael, that is what the Linux community needs.

You're very much welcome. If you run into any other problems, or have thoughts to share, feel free to post them.

Default Ati 8.26.18 x64 + FC5-x64 problems

Michael Thanks for that great Ati + Linux piece. It was a pleasure to read about you experience with the drivers. You have had much better success than I have and I was wondering if maybe someone can nudge me in the right direction to get the Ati driver working properly.
    System : AMD 64, 1GB ram, x1600 Ati. OS FC5-x64

I think I have followed the installation for 8.26.18 x64 driver from Ati. Using the installer, logs do not appear to be lethal, a few warnings about cast from pointer to integer and one maybe potentially problematic as follows
    WARNING: could not find /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4

However the logs report that build succeded with with return value 0. So far so good

aticonfig produces a workable xorg.conf file and display is ok.
    The problem is that there does not seem to be any GL support and I was wondering what I might have missed along the way.
    Trying to run fireglcontrolpanel gives: fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc
    I am not quite sure what that means.
    google-earth gives the same message., glxgears does not run. etc. etc.
    Can anyone provide some insight into what I missed? Thanks in advance.
    I apologize for the length but I thought it better to be complete than having to do multiple posts to fill in details.