Thread: Gentoo Linux 12.0 LiveDVD Released

Default Gentoo Linux 12.0 LiveDVD Released

Phoronix: Gentoo Linux 12.0 LiveDVD Released

The Gentoo project has pout out version 12.0 of their pre-spun LiveDVD for those looking to give this decade-old distribution a shot...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzNjE

Yaaay! Always nice to have a more modern Live-DVD to use when screwing up Grub2 or something else.

I personally prefer SystemRescueCD for both installing Gentoo and as a rescue CD (or USB drive or installed somewhere on /boot), although I haven't looked at the Gentoo live CDs/DVDs for quite some time. It's also useful if you need support for uncommon or experimental features (that's how I got Gentoo on btrfs a while ago).

Anyway, I guess a full network install makes a lot of sense for something like Gentoo, so getting an entire DVD first doesn't seem so appealing unless you're installing in a restricted environment. It probably does fill the role of a reference installation base for Gentoo as a project, or maybe a step up from minimal CDs, besides special use-cases.

You got the xfce version wrong. It should be 4.8 and not 4.2.1.

Red face

Actual XBMC is quiet cool to look at
    There is also Awesome, openbox and much more...

I see it more like a DVD to have a look at what you can run with Gentoo, rather than see it as a reference for a standard installation (if there is any in Gentoo). Really good work and I didn't have any problems... except my VM needed ~4GB RAM for the biggere DE to work flawless.