Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, but lack of HDMI audio doesn't mean a PC without sound, it means a PC without the ability to route the sounds to an HDMI-attached TV or audio system.
    for a consumer this means 2 possible ways: he get a system without sound or he need to buy a analog sound system for maybe 50 .

and i know AMD is the first company in the world paying customers 50 for an obsolete analog sound system.

Hold on, are you claiming that *most* consumer users rely on an HDMI-attached TV for their only sound source ?

I know that *some* rely on HDMI audio for their only sound source (it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) but AFAIK most consumer users still either use built-in speakers (laptops, all-in-ones) or cheap external speakers.

Getting a bit side tracked I see...

I have no need for HDMI audio, so it should indeed work fine for my purposes. I use an analog sound system and/or a headset. That's certainly a requirement I would have mentioned, if I needed it.

Thanks for that info, agd5f.

Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
    Last edited by Otus; 01-06-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otus View Post
    Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
    The va-api/xvba wrapper from splitted desktop is a dead-end, although it was better than no acceleration and I'm glad the dev got a nice gig at Intel.
    This article (and relevant discussion) should answer your question: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAyODU[/code]

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Hold on, are you claiming that *most* consumer users rely on an HDMI-attached TV for their only sound source ?

I know that *some* rely on HDMI audio for their only sound source (it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) but AFAIK most consumer users still either use built-in speakers (laptops, all-in-ones) or cheap external speakers.
    "most" i don't know market share numbers but my system right now do only have hdmi sound.

and: "(it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) " is not SOME standard means MOST.

you're contradicting yourself!

Standard=most

and: " but AFAIK most consumer users "use--> [WINDOWS]

sure there are many brain-death Windows users with a HDMI monitor with sound and a cheap analog soundsystem to.

there are many stupid people around the world sure!

and in the end AMD's argument is: you have to be stupid and spend 50 in an obsolete sound system or install a windows7 and pay 100 to Microsoft.

Dirty business! i think Microsoft pays AMD for this.

Default Seriously

Q, most desktop users have their audio through either the inbuilt motherboard audio, or a sound card which goes to their desktop speakers.

Talking about who said most or what and their meaning in therms of HTPC is irrelevant! Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Anyhow, I could easily have audio on my TV from a VGA laptop by using a 3.5mm jack to White/Red audio ports cable, and those are cheap and easy to buy (You can also try ebay if you wish)

Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    Q, most desktop users have their audio through either the inbuilt motherboard audio, or a sound card which goes to their desktop speakers.

Talking about who said most or what and their meaning in therms of HTPC is irrelevant! Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Anyhow, I could easily have audio on my TV from a VGA laptop by using a 3.5mm jack to White/Red audio ports cable, and those are cheap and easy to buy (You can also try ebay if you wish)
    Just tell me do AMD pay me a 3.5mm jack cable? or a mainboard with on-board sound if i do not have one?

Do AMD pay me damages compensation because of the analog Quality lost on the 3.5mm jack Cable?

and i ask again do Microsoft pay for all this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "most" i don't know market share numbers but my system right now do only have hdmi sound.

and: "(it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) " is not SOME standard means MOST.

you're contradicting yourself!

Standard=most
    ???

Your argument only works if all "consumer users" run "HTPC configs", which I really don't think is the case. I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess maybe 5-10% of consumer systems are dedicated HTPC configs where the only display/sound devices are HDMI-attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Just tell me do AMD pay me a 3.5mm jack cable? or a mainboard with on-board sound if i do not have one?

Do AMD pay me damages compensation because of the analog Quality lost on the 3.5mm jack Cable?

and i ask again do Microsoft pay for all this ?
    Does AMD pay for your HDMI cable ? Or an HD TV ? Or a graphics card with HDMI connector if you do not have one ? Seriously Q, you're pushing this thread past the bounds of common sense.

Most computers have non-HDMI audio output; in fact I don't think it's too far off to say just about all of them do. Moreover, I would say more computers have non-HDMI *digital* audio output (coax, 3.5 to coax, or optical) than have HDMI ports period.
    Last edited by agd5f; 01-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.