Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Your System Take A Dive With Linux 3.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Your System Take A Dive With Linux 3.2?

Phoronix: Did Your System Take A Dive With Linux 3.2?

If you upgraded today to the just-released Linux 3.2 kernel and your Intel system is now having problems booting this new kernel release, you're not alone, but here's a possible workaround...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I believe you're hitting the ricoh card reader bug when the memory stick reader driver is enabled at the same time as DMAR, which it wasn't in the ubuntu configs until around 3.2-rc3. It's actually a really old bug

That's the fix, which isn't in the kernel-ppa mainline kernel you must have used but is in the distro kernels

Comment

im very much experiencing this issue on my amd desktop system...
      i guess id better not shut down the laptop....

how can such a thing get through testing?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        how can such a thing get through testing?
        By the people encountering the problem not reporting it?

Comment

Linux 3.2 installs fine but fails to boot, using Ubuntu 11.10 amd64.

Adding intel_iommu=off changed the boot process but still fails to boot successfully.
          I have Intel Core i5 750, Nvidia GTX 560Ti, MB: Asus P7P55D-E LX.
          The kernel I used:

Linux 3.1 also installs fine and also fails to boot.

Comment

it just occurred today... i wonder if it not something else... its writing about some upstart job and the 3.2.0.6 ubuntukernel which worked just fine until today also fails.............
            wtf! it works!
            ok... ill consider turning off all power from your system (unplugging) as a common bugfix from now on...

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              it just occurred today... i wonder if it not something else... its writing about some upstart job and the 3.2.0.6 ubuntukernel which worked just fine until today also fails.............
              wtf! it works!
              ok... ill consider turning off all power from your system (unplugging) as a common bugfix from now on...
              The upstart is another problem in precise today

Comment

Mhm, on my W510 I always had intel_iommu=off because at some point long ago having it on caused suspend problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Sarvatt View Post
                  I believe you're hitting the ricoh card reader bug when the memory stick reader driver is enabled at the same time as DMAR, which it wasn't in the ubuntu configs until around 3.2-rc3. It's actually a really old bug

That's the fix, which isn't in the kernel-ppa mainline kernel you must have used but is in the distro kernels
                  You're right. It is old. I have had issues with this bug on my Lenovo T520i, which I have been using since Linux 3.0.

I tried reporting it to Lenovo when I first encountered it, but they didn't care about it at all.

Comment

Basically that specific problem could be avoided by a small config change. U enables intel_iommu by default, but you can also set the default to off, then you would need the same option =on to enable it if needed. More problematic i see it on my medion e1210...

Comment

Working...
                    X