Thread: Gallium3D LLVMpipe On The Sandy Bridge Extreme

Default Gallium3D LLVMpipe On The Sandy Bridge Extreme

Phoronix: Gallium3D LLVMpipe On The Sandy Bridge Extreme

A thorough performance look at the Intel Core i7 3960X "Sandy Bridge" Extreme Edition processor will be published very soon, but in this article are some benchmarks of using Gallium3D's LLVMpipe driver on this six-core processor with Hyper Threading.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16823

Why the hell did you compare with catalyst?

Surely using radeon with the same graphics stack would heave been a better comparison for the software driver?
    Yet another useless comparison in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by danwood76 View Post
    Why the hell did you compare with catalyst?

Surely using radeon with the same graphics stack would heave been a better comparison for the software driver?
    Yet another useless comparison in my opinion!
    Because Catalyst utilizes the hardware ~100%, which highlights the performance difference between a GPU and a CPU. Radeon doesn't even come close.

Yet another useless opinion on the comparison!

Yes but the fps numbers are never going to be similar if the graphics stack is different.
    The openGL implementation is completely different, they share no libraries and so its an unfair comparison.

Gaming benchmarks? "Is the game playable (>30fps min and preferably >60fps)?" That's the question that should be answered by this article and the radeon comparison is baseless and only serves to make the graphs more difficult to read

@danwood76 I think you don't get the point.

The catalyst numbers are there as a reference, catalyst performance numbers remain pretty stable, so comparing new mesa drivers, llvmpipe or whatever graphics driver vs catalyst makes a lot of sense, you can see how well it works against a stable driver implementation. Which one wins doesn't matter.