View Poll Results: Will The Unreal Tournament 3 Linux Client Be Out This Year?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 15.58%
  • No

    47 61.04%
  • Unsure

    18 23.38%
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 279

Thread: Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Do you honestly believe that Valve cares enough to even consider a linux port of steam?

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I think it possible.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Just a clarification...

    Michael,

    Thank you for the welcome. :-)

    I just want you to know I've never "witnessed" any slights to Ryan, here or anywhere. I clearly have more faith in his dedication to linux gaming than some, though. :-)

    I also remind the despairing that we will play our games on the platform of our choosing, one way or another.

    I know there are purists here who will not run their games in Wine. I'd like them to know that I did buy Postal 2: Share The Pain, Tribal Trouble, and Dark Horizons:Lore as linux games. :-) I also taught more than a few rookies how to install their UT 2003 native on linux, from (and crediting) Ryan's instructions as far back as November, 2003.

    My fingers are crossed that the steam installer theory turns out to be correct and that we will get the chance to buy UT3 for linux soon,

    BrianS

    P.S. This will be the first UT I've waited for the linux version of, as it's been my favorite FPS since the previous century (and the linux installers were on the 2003/2004 CD's). I'll need to build a new PC for this one.


    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    BrianS:

    Welcome to the forums.

    I don't believe anyone here is trying to discount the work of Ryan or saying that he's trying to screw the Linux community. Ryan is doing a great job and most (if not all) people realize it's now stuck in Epic's legal department and out of Ryan's hands.

    This sort of reminds me back to the (good) days of America's Army on Linux and then the whole waiting period to find out information... At least this time we know it's to do with legal and not the company lacking interest in a Linux port and stops paying the developer, like what happened with AA.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    899

    Default

    About Steam... It is not so much about the "delivery platform" than the actual content that would hold back its release, even if it already had a native client, the client wouldn't be of any use without actual content and games available for the platform, and those can take a while to port.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Steam could offer wine or cedega like it does offer dosbox for playing the older dos games.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xav1r View Post
    Do you honestly believe that Valve cares enough to even consider a linux port of steam?
    Why not? The cost to port steam to linux would be minimal at best and Valve would be just simply expanding their client base. There would be added incentive for publishers to put out ports as well if they have proven platform for distribution.

    One of the issues commercial linux gaming has is that people are hesitant to purchase games online from a small distributer after the Lokigames fiasco. With steam there would be a sense of reassurance that steam will still be around and not mysteriously closing the door at some time.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I hope valve is listening to you, but somehow I doubt they will consider porting steam to linux.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    About Steam... It is not so much about the "delivery platform" than the actual content that would hold back its release, even if it already had a native client, the client wouldn't be of any use without actual content and games available for the platform, and those can take a while to port.
    Actually, ID games has a few titles that are ported already. So does epic. And they are both distributed via steam. They already do have content to begin with. And good content I might add.

    What I'm saying is if steam makes a linux client, there will be more linux games or games ported. I think the potential for success is HUGE since linux is increasingly popular and demand for linux titles is also growing. If steam can get most of the linux gamers to use it then it may become a "deFacto" in the linux world and eventually become "the traditionnal" way of gaming on linux. Whereas on a windows system, the defacto is getting off your arse and go to the future shop bargain bin or bootleg rack.
    Also the fact that one of the top reasons why one would not wish to use linux is the lack of games. Therefore, if steam releases a client, linux gaming would gain huge traction. And if linux gaming gains traction, linux desktop does as well. And if linux desktop does better, steam linux would also do better.

    This is my speculation, to me it makes a lot of sense. If I had the capital, competence, experience and knowledge, I would make my own digital distribution service for linux. The ROI would be crap for a while, but if the whole proves to be quite adequate, it could really do well in a couple of years or so.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueKoala View Post
    Actually, ID games has a few titles that are ported already. So does epic. And they are both distributed via steam. They already do have content to begin with. And good content I might add.

    What I'm saying is if steam makes a linux client, there will be more linux games or games ported. I think the potential for success is HUGE since linux is increasingly popular and demand for linux titles is also growing. If steam can get most of the linux gamers to use it then it may become a "deFacto" in the linux world and eventually become "the traditionnal" way of gaming on linux. Whereas on a windows system, the defacto is getting off your arse and go to the future shop bargain bin or bootleg rack.
    Also the fact that one of the top reasons why one would not wish to use linux is the lack of games. Therefore, if steam releases a client, linux gaming would gain huge traction. And if linux gaming gains traction, linux desktop does as well. And if linux desktop does better, steam linux would also do better.

    This is my speculation, to me it makes a lot of sense. If I had the capital, competence, experience and knowledge, I would make my own digital distribution service for linux. The ROI would be crap for a while, but if the whole proves to be quite adequate, it could really do well in a couple of years or so.
    I've been off the hook of gaming in Windows for so long (way before Steam) that I'm not familiar with titles available through it, though I imagine what titles are these (Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2K4), which is right... There already is content.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    UT3 would be really cool to have on Linux. Compared to other current games like Crysis the engine is much more basic but a lot faster. Maybe the developers could add at least an OpenGL renderer for the Win game to let wine run much faster - the D3D implementation only works with tricks and is really slow for this game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •