View Poll Results: Will The Unreal Tournament 3 Linux Client Be Out This Year?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 15.58%
  • No

47 61.04%
  • Unsure

18 23.38%
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Oh, I thought Windows users could already use OpenGL render. In a GameStar interview from early-mid 2007, Epic said that the OpenGL render did have all the effects from the DirectX 10 render, so that it would look better for Linux users than for Windows XP users with their DirectX 9 render. It really would be great if it still gets a release... or imagine the CryEngine 2 running under Linux, that would be awesome. But the biggest user base is behind the Source engine and its games...

I thought they already had an OpenGL renderer for the PS3 version? I don't see what might stop them from making it available for Windows users.

Microsoft wouldn't probably let 'em. The Big push in Microsoftland is for...

V
    I
    S
    T
    A

DX10's what you're supposed to target for Windows, didn't you know? Anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Microsoft wouldn't probably let 'em. The Big push in Microsoftland is for...

V
    I
    S
    T
    A

DX10's what you're supposed to target for Windows, didn't you know? Anyhow...
    Yeah.. I'm not too happy about that. I wish Epic would at least give us a answer though. Even if its a no at least we know. If its truly because of what you said, and Epic goes and says how PC gaming is dieing and yada yada, then they really have hurt their reputation.

Not just anongst Linux users/gamers but the whole PC gaming community. It would be sad to see them go that route. But as they say life goes on.

Well, but at least the DirectX inventor knows what's going on:

"So it is clear that PC gaming absolutely killed [the market] in terms of revenue, killed it in terms of consumer usage—the average console gamer, according to Powers Associates, spends more time playing PC games than console games."

(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2277507,00.asp)

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Well, but at least the DirectX inventor knows what's going on:

"So it is clear that PC gaming absolutely killed [the market] in terms of revenue, killed it in terms of consumer usage—the average console gamer, according to Powers Associates, spends more time playing PC games than console games."

(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2277507,00.asp)
    Heh... Alex is pretty outspoken- and pretty right about a lot of things (Not as much as he'd lead you to believe, but...). And He's reaming them a new one over DirectX 9/10 because it's become this bloated nasty thing (much like all Microsoft products eventually become...) and they're killing PC gaming with Vista and DX10. I'd have to concur on his assessment of that. I'd also have to concur with his assessment of Intel's past performance in the GPU space. It's not helped that the IGP space is littered with crap parts that are this era's equivalent of the S3 Savage...

OK good news, no announcement of UT3 being made for linux was just an elaborate April 1st joke.

Bad news, joke or no joke, we still have no new news on the UT3 client.

Well there are things already mentioned, there's more though I'll just list what I have:

These here I haven't seen mentioned
    ---
    Code licensed from AMD

Code licensed from NVIDIA

More code licensed from Fonix Speech Inc. (they actually do Linux software i.e. embedded - think mobile phones)
    ---

So if I had to guess, being as it's supposedly "unbelievable", I would guess it's NVIDIA code.
    Don't flame me, I'm just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by edged View Post
    So if I had to guess, being as it's supposedly "unbelievable", I would guess it's NVIDIA code. Don't flame me, I'm just sayin
    Oh you don't have to worry about that, no one is going to flame you. Infact I think thats a very interesting thing to think about. I mean, it is a nVidia "The way it's meant to be played" game isn't it? It would be kinda unbelievable if nVidia were the ones holding it back. Theres no way its AMD though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikith View Post
    ...Theres no way its AMD though.
    Especially given the huge AMD OSS documentation (and code) drops in the recent months...

- Gilboa
    DEV-NG: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    DEV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 5x320GB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711 (^).
    SRV: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 4x2TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64, Dell U2412.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.