Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gallium3D For Haiku Is Being Addressed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,622

    Default Gallium3D For Haiku Is Being Addressed

    Phoronix: Gallium3D For Haiku Is Being Addressed

    It turns out that a developer is bringing Mesa's Gallium3D driver support to Haiku -- the operating system that seeks to re-implement BeOS as open-source -- per an outstanding monetary bounty...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzOTQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    918

    Default

    GCC2? OMG

    (stupid character limit)
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Highly unlikely that they'll be able to convince the Mesa developers to use GCC2-compatible code in mainline. There's too many benefits to using new features in GCC4, and more #ifdefs will make the code unreadable.

    BeOS needs to use a compiler that's being actively developed, maintained, and receiving new features as language standards evolve. Unless someone wants to volunteer to support C++0x on the GCC2 platform, that's not very likely.

    Oh and presumably they're using the *actual* GCC 2.x, not 2.95 (which is probably derived from egcs, which eventually became gcc3)? Pre-egcs gcc was terrible. I've used it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Highly unlikely that they'll be able to convince the Mesa developers to use GCC2-compatible code in mainline. There's too many benefits to using new features in GCC4, and more #ifdefs will make the code unreadable.

    BeOS needs to use a compiler that's being actively developed, maintained, and receiving new features as language standards evolve. Unless someone wants to volunteer to support C++0x on the GCC2 platform, that's not very likely.

    Oh and presumably they're using the *actual* GCC 2.x, not 2.95 (which is probably derived from egcs, which eventually became gcc3)? Pre-egcs gcc was terrible. I've used it.
    Core mesa code does make a point to stay compatible with MSVC, so they can't use any of the newer GCC features anyway. But individual drivers are free to use whatever they want, and I'm sure the r300g/r600g/nouveau/etc. drivers do.

    Haiku does have a GCC4 version, it's just that they still default to the GCC2 version so that binary code from 10 years ago is still able to run on their new OS. Sooner or later they're going to have to give up on that and embrace the future.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Haiku does have a GCC4 version, it's just that they still default to the GCC2 version so that binary code from 10 years ago is still able to run on their new OS. Sooner or later they're going to have to give up on that and embrace the future.
    Yes, they are fully aware of this themselves as GCC2 binary support will officially be deprecated beyond R1 which makes it even harder to understand why they are so intent in keeping it in R1. It's not as if there's any critical Beos/GCC2 software out there that I can think of. Either way, they will keep GCC2 binary support for R1 but that doesn't mean that they need to make gallium3d support available for GCC2 based systems, right? Perhaps the problem lies in the hybrid systems with both GCC4 and GCC2 libs/binaries.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    ...any particular reason why they can't have both gcc2 and gcc4? you can have multiple versions of python, java, and other languages at a time. considering how old gcc2 is, i doubt its very big so if they're worried about disk consumption then they shouldn't.

    either way i wish this guy success. as much as i don't care about beos in the slightest, its nice to see a free, open-source, non-linux-based OS make progress.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Highly unlikely that they'll be able to convince the Mesa developers to use GCC2-compatible code in mainline. There's too many benefits to using new features in GCC4, and more #ifdefs will make the code unreadable.

    BeOS needs to use a compiler that's being actively developed, maintained, and receiving new features as language standards evolve. Unless someone wants to volunteer to support C++0x on the GCC2 platform, that's not very likely.

    Oh and presumably they're using the *actual* GCC 2.x, not 2.95 (which is probably derived from egcs, which eventually became gcc3)? Pre-egcs gcc was terrible. I've used it.
    GCC2 indeed sucks. The reason we use GCC2 is for compatibility with BeOS binaries. Keep in mind that Haiku also has a well developed and stable gcc4 build.

    The plan I have going forward is to use Mesa 7.8.2 (software rendering only) for GCC2 Haiku, and latest Mesa mainline (+hardware rendering?) for gcc4 builds.

    The reason for using Mesa 7.8.2 on gcc2 builds is that anything newer then 7.8.2 has the new glsl C++ code which is c99. c99 C++ code does NOT compile in gcc2 without a HUGE number of changes.
    Last edited by kallisti5; 01-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kallisti5 View Post
    GCC2 indeed sucks. The reason we use GCC2 is for compatibility with BeOS binaries. Keep in mind that Haiku also has a well developed and stable gcc4 build.

    The plan I have going forward is to use Mesa 7.8.2 (software rendering only) for GCC2 Haiku, and latest Mesa mainline (+hardware rendering?) for gcc4 builds.

    The reason for using Mesa 7.8.2 on gcc2 builds is that anything newer then 7.8.2 has the new glsl C++ code which is c99. c99 C++ code does NOT compile in gcc2 without a HUGE number of changes.
    I honestly don't get why Haiku doesn't say screw it to running BeOS binaries and just move entirely to GCC 4. I mean, IMO it is just holding it back. You know you will switch to GCC4 in R2, why not just do so now? Also, you had that whole interview thing on the Haiku website right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •