Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIOPS: A New Linux I/O Scheduler For Flash/SSDs

I would hope that it'd choose the scheduler at mount time, if possible, for each device. I can't imagine it choosing a scheduler based on the mode (as in mean, median, mode) device type and users still having a good experience.

At least a simple rotating/flash device division can be done quite easily, possibly in a udev script. Look at /sys/block/device/queue/rotational, if 1 write "cfq" to .../scheduler, else "noop"/"fiops". Possibly "noop" when /sys/block/device/removable is 1, "fiops" for 0. No idea if any distribution implements something like that, but it's nothing the kernel has to do.

I've always wondered if it would make sense to use SSDs as a new layer in the cache hierarchy rather than as an additional faster drive? e.g. hard disk -> SSD -> memory -> L3/L2/L1 caches -> registers.

They are being used like that in many places, but you'd just be burning your ssd cells. Not funny when it dies in a month or two.

This should also work for other flash-based media such as flash media in routers, USB sticks and mp3 players

Quote Originally Posted by damg View Post
    I've always wondered if it would make sense to use SSDs as a new layer in the cache hierarchy rather than as an additional faster drive? e.g. hard disk -> SSD -> memory -> L3/L2/L1 caches -> registers.
    Like a Seagate Momentum XT on steroids? That one uses the cache only for reading, so no fear of burning through all write cycles in a month, but you obviously lose speed advantages writing. And you get some acceleration for everything, but you can never be sure that something doesn't get evicted, while using a ssd as system drive will always benefit the data on it (and obviously do nothing for everything else).