Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: It's Official: Mesa 8.0 With OpenGL 3.0

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    I suppose you'd like the library to be able to give blowjobs, too. But like that S3TC is not going to happen, for what should be obvious reasons.
    Eventually the patent will expire or somebody will officially release a 'promise not to sue' and then it would be accepted.
    1997/10/02 + 20 years means we will not see this crap expire until 2017/10/02. I would be hoping for this patent to be marked invalid instead...

    btw, what is up with the blowjob comment? You not getting enough?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Maybe a big duh question, but what can the OGL 3.0 mesa drivers run now that they couldnt run before?

    Not that I don't appreciate the work, I do!

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Maybe a big duh question, but what can the OGL 3.0 mesa drivers run now that they couldnt run before?

    Not that I don't appreciate the work, I do!
    DX10 support in Wine depends on OpenGL 3.0 features.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Many of these features have been supported forever.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandain View Post
    btw, what is up with the blowjob comment? You not getting enough?
    It's a fairly standard way of telling somebody that they're being ungrateful :-)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Wow, Linux is catching up with the technology which was released just 3,5 years ago (and I don't want even to mention Direct3D 10 which was released in 2006). Oh my goodness.
    I hope it goes without saying that most people don't even need OpenGL 3/4. The proprietary drivers provide that and I don't particularly care about provides them. None of the software I use needs it. I forecast that there is a 100% chance of not giving a rat's ass continuing for the next year. (if it even takes them that long).

    What even uses that crap aside from a couple of proprietary games and maybe some expensive proprietary software that I have no use for?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Seriously, what is wrong with you people? (With all due respect to the rare exceptions like Veerappan.)
    There is a new milestone hit in an open-source software and everybody is like "who the fuck cares".

    While I can see why you think it's late, etc. you should still be greatful or stfu, at the very least.

    And I thought that it was just Micheal being depressed -- only negative headlines -- for over a months now.
    This is the typical mid/eastern-european attidute, which I'm not proud of, so please don't learn it!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    Seriously, what is wrong with you people? (With all due respect to the rare exceptions like Veerappan.)
    There is a new milestone hit in an open-source software and everybody is like "who the fuck cares".

    While I can see why you think it's late, etc. you should still be greatful or stfu, at the very least.

    And I thought that it was just Micheal being depressed -- only negative headlines -- for over a months now.
    This is the typical mid/eastern-european attidute, which I'm not proud of, so please don't learn it!
    No, I'm glad that it is adding new features, I just don't have any burning need for them at this time. Any ground they gain on proprietary software that makes them more competitive for people who currently do need something that only the proprietary software provides, is of course a good thing.

    I didn't mean to come off as "I don't care", I do, just not personally.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    I didn't mean to come off as "I don't care", I do, just not personally.
    So there's a care that's not personal? Is this all because no one likes OpenGL?

    If I understand things correctly, this nonchalant attitude has nothing to do with Mesa at all. Even if AMD released perfect, bug-free Catalyst drivers for OGL 3.0 with %400 performance increase or something ridiculous like that, the response would probably be the same. At least from this crowd.

    Here's my summary of responses here...

    The only purpose of openGL drivers for linux or any OS on a desktop system, is to accelerate their superior DirectX equivalents.

    Ouch.

    The level of inspiration here, is killing. You guys are lucky to have a kernel, let alone a 3D framework. Even bad musicians don't get this much heckling.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jltyper View Post
    So there's a care that's not personal? Is this all because no one likes OpenGL?

    If I understand things correctly, this nonchalant attitude has nothing to do with Mesa at all. Even if AMD released perfect, bug-free Catalyst drivers for OGL 3.0 with %400 performance increase or something ridiculous like that, the response would probably be the same. At least from this crowd.

    Here's my summary of responses here...

    The only purpose of openGL drivers for linux or any OS on a desktop system, is to accelerate their superior DirectX equivalents.

    Ouch.

    The level of inspiration here, is killing. You guys are lucky to have a kernel, let alone a 3D framework. Even bad musicians don't get this much heckling.
    I don't use anything that requires DirectX, and don't have Wine. Hope that helps.

    And yes, I do hate OpenGL and DirectX. They're both overgrown and have to support too much legacy crap. OpenGL is not "open" enough, since it requires you to navigate a thicket of patents to implement it properly.
    Last edited by DaemonFC; 01-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •