Thread: Linux 3.2 Kernel Benchmarks

Default Linux 3.2 Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 3.2 Kernel Benchmarks

Following last week's release of the Linux 3.2 kernel, here is a round-up of Linux 3.2 kernel benchmarks. Also included are a new set of kernel benchmarks comparing the 3.2 kernel to older releases while running Intel's blazing fast Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition CPU.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16923

Default Explanation???

Could someone explain/give a hint as to why there is such a dramatic fps boost from the 2.6.39 to 3.0 kernel for some games?

Default It's will or without bigalloc?

It's will or without bigalloc of ext4 (cluster mode)? Because it's important feature, mainly on ssd.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    Could someone explain/give a hint as to why there is such a dramatic fps boost from the 2.6.39 to 3.0 kernel for some games?
    I think there were some video driver changes that make the difference.

The benchmark pages says

2.6.39-020639-generic
    3.0.0-0300-generic
    3.1.0-030100-generic
    3.2.0-030200-generic

Is there any reason for not using the up-to-date kernels like 3.0.16/3.1.8 or is that just some weird Ubuntu naming scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by EoD_ View Post
    The benchmark pages says

2.6.39-020639-generic
    3.0.0-0300-generic
    3.1.0-030100-generic
    3.2.0-030200-generic

Is there any reason for not using the up-to-date kernels like 3.0.16/3.1.8 or is that just some weird Ubuntu naming scheme?
    Ubuntu tends to backport changes + their own patches to kernels rather than use the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    Ubuntu tends to backport changes + their own patches to kernels rather than use the latest version.
    I think it's more likely he took those versions from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Those are vanilla + basic ubuntu patches, afaik. Hence EoD_'s questions stands.

I benchmarked my system with this benchmark and it seems to be much faster in some tests? http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...EGON-120106668

My system runs at 4.4GHz so they should be pretty similar. Could it be that everything is compiled with march=native that makes such a difference?

Default Catalyst drivers vs radeon ones and MS WOS benchmark

In this tests I would like to see Radeon vs Catalyst video drivers benchmark too
    And a MS WOS - MicroSoft Windows Operating System - test to compare. Also BSD or others can be good.
    As well if it where Nvidia their nv and blobs compared and MS WOS performance.

Linux vs MS WOS performance in opengl games is an issue that when Linux will beat MS WOS will increase opengl gamers Linux users.

And i would like to see the evolution or not of this benchmarks ans if Nvidia or ATI are evolving their blobs better and also if radeon and nv drivers - and even intel ones - are improving or not.

And even better if at the bencmarks we can find MS WOS XP and MS WOS 7

And far better idf there are a state of the art machine and the cheaper you can find today.

Perhaps the differences are bigger with cheaper hardware, that has more market share.

As i published today when friends ask me what new laptop to buy I say Intall Ubuntu, it is free and it will be faster - except for games -, but you do not play at your laptop, do you?