Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preview: Intel's Open-Source Driver Can Beat Mac OS X

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    The article actually statest that Apple does not have OGL3 for Intel hardware. So even if theya re puting there effort there, they haven't released anything yet.
    That's because the article and benchmarks are using Apple's Legacy codepath.

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsi...1072_Core.html

Apple supports full OpenGL 3.2 for Sandy Bridge under the Core profile. I believe that's the best support of any operating system, since I think even Intel's Windows drivers are only OpenGL 3.1. For better or for worse, Apple decided on a clean break and didn't implement a Compatibility profile. There's only a Legacy profile (OpenGL 2.1 + all OpenGL 3.0 extensions except GLSL 1.30) and a Core profile (OpenGL 3.2). I don't think any game on OS X currently uses the Core profile though. Perhaps Unigine will when it's finally released to the public.

so unless apple writes their drivers for all devices by themselves, which i highly doubt, i think nearly all of you are bashing the wrong company - intel makes the drivers, therefore, THEY are the ones doing a bad job. note that mac osx is designed to be stable, and uses very old releases of things to ensure that theres no awkward new problem.

i'm not saying we shouldn't be happy for linux though, because i'm ecstatic that linux is doing this great. i'm just saying that people aren't focusing on who the real failure is, and unless someone can prove me wrong, thats the intel devs for mac.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    so unless apple writes their drivers for all devices by themselves, which i highly doubt, i think nearly all of you are bashing the wrong company - intel makes the drivers, therefore, THEY are the ones doing a bad job. note that mac osx is designed to be stable, and uses very old releases of things to ensure that theres no awkward new problem.

i'm not saying we shouldn't be happy for linux though, because i'm ecstatic that linux is doing this great. i'm just saying that people aren't focusing on who the real failure is, and unless someone can prove me wrong, thats the intel devs for mac.
    Apple does write a bunch of the OpenGL stack in OSX, just like Microsoft does D3D in Windows. Both just require the vendor drivers to hook into their framework.