KDE 4.8 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Do you use a blacklist? Can we force it with fglrx to see whether a new release (let's say Catalyst 12.1 which just got released) supports it?
    Yes. http://community.kde.org/KWin/Environment_Variables

By setting the environment variable KWIN_DIRECT_GL to 1 the checks are not performed and LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is not set.

Comment

Strange. I updated my Kubuntu and no kde-telepathy* packages could be found

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Strange. I updated my Kubuntu and no kde-telepathy* packages could be found
        Well, KDE Telepathy isn't part of the KDE SC.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Well, KDE Telepathy isn't part of the KDE SC.
          Yet it's mentioned in the release notes... I'll where I can find some packages, it seems to be shaping up rather nicely (based on some user comments).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I'll where I can find some packages, it seems to be shaping up rather nicely (based on some user comments).
            https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde...e/daily-builds is the offical PPA for KDE Telepathy daily builds if I'm not mistaken. Those version numbers look kinda odd though.

And yes... it is nice

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              does anyone know what they're doing after 4.9? is it going to jump up to 4.10 or are they moving onto 5? the reason i'm asking is because as far as i'm aware, kde 5 is based around qt5. i'm also wondering if kde5 will end up being a separate desktop environment or if everything will be a smooth transition.
              There won't be a ?KDE 5? ? never ever because there is no product called ?KDE?.
              Plasma Workspaces 4.9 will be based on KDE Frameworks 5.0 and so far no radical change to Workspaces has been announced to justify a 5.0 release there.

Comment

Just upgraded to KDE SC 4.8 today and I am very impressed. The kwin performance with fglrx has greatly improved and I am now able to run everything with the oxygen transparency theme smooth, even though everything is blured.

Comment

This indeed is a great release, I used to troll a lot in the past about KDE. I never seen kwin run so smooth, and I only tried KDE 4.8 on my Intel Atom & Nv ION netbook so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    There won't be a ?KDE 5? ? never ever because there is no product called ?KDE?.
                    Plasma Workspaces 4.9 will be based on KDE Frameworks 5.0 and so far no radical change to Workspaces has been announced to justify a 5.0 release there.
                    You'd think that the KDE people would learn from Microsoft trying to rebrand MSN every week that you won't ever get people to stop calling KDE "Whatever" "KDE".

Comment

Working...
                    X