Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

Hybrid View

Default AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

AMD has unleashed the first Catalyst Linux binary driver update of 2012, but does Catalyst 12.1 bring anything interesting or just more breakage?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0ODM

However, as already reported in the forums, if you try to build the Debian packages from the Catalyst 12.1 installer, it's actually broken.
    No, its not broken.

Last edited by yaji; 01-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaji View Post
    No, its not broken.
    Confirmed. No issues here, building went fine on Ubuntu 11.10 (x86), I wasn't presented with any errors and installation went OK. It could be that they have fixed the issue and provided an updated download so you could try downloading it again.

About the new update:
    I'm quite happy. Finally some progress with the GNOME Shell issues!
    No more graphical corruption with overlay scroll bar handle's, tooltips and dropdown lists on websites. No more glitches when alternately hovering over the different icons in the notification area (bottom-right corner).

One thing I can't confirm to be fixed yet is the random crashing of GNOME Shell...since it's happening at random ;-)

The multi-monitor issue where you can't set the right-hand monitor to be primary unfortunately remains...

Finaly with this release, Intel Sandy Bridge + AMD 6490 hybrid graphics on HP ProBook 4530s works (a least AMD card works - with intel there is no direct rendering, don't know why).

Quote Originally Posted by Milos_SD View Post
    Finaly with this release, Intel Sandy Bridge + AMD 6490 hybrid graphics on HP ProBook 4530s works (a least AMD card works - with intel there is no direct rendering, don't know why).
    Hi,

What do you mean by "works"? Are you using both without having to disable one or the other from the BIOS? What kernel version are you using? OMG I hope what I'm hoping for is true (croxxing fingers).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by markyxyz View Post
    Hi,

What do you mean by "works"? Are you using both without having to disable one or the other from the BIOS? What kernel version are you using? OMG I hope what I'm hoping for is true (croxxing fingers).

Thanks!
    Well, Xserver doesn't crash on startup with fglrx installed as it used to do before, and I can use AMD card with them. I can switch graphic cards from catalyst control panel, but for some reason, there is no direct rendering when I switch to Intel. But I realy don't care, while AMD card works with fglrx without a problem. Kernel is 3.2 on that laptop. And btw, in BIOS there is only option to turn switchable graphics on/off.
    It is not switching like in win7, you need to logout/login after switching from catalyst control panel.

Well, Xserver doesn't crash on startup with fglrx installed as it used to do before, and I can use AMD card with them. I can switch graphic cards from catalyst control panel, but for some reason, there is no direct rendering when I switch to Intel. But I realy don't care, while AMD card works with fglrx without a problem. Kernel is 3.2 on that laptop. And btw, in BIOS there is only option to turn switchable graphics on/off.
    It is not switching like in win7, you need to logout/login after switching from catalyst control panel.
    Well so much for wishful thinking. Mine don't work. Intel SB + AMD 6470M. Kernel is .38-13 on Natty. This sux!

Default Running but kinda :D

I have the exact same laptop: HP Probook 4530 Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) with Radeon 6490 graphics card.
    The 12.1 finally gave me some positive results, but kinda' .

After installing and running the "sudo amdcccle-initial" and restarting X server seems to freeze, but interestingly it loads successfully and if I type my password and hit enter it actually loads kde (running Kubuntu 11.04). If I hit ctrl+alt+f1 and then get back to ctr+alt+f7 I can force the x server to refresh the screen and see KDE fully loaded with effects running, but the screen remains frozen.

I can move the cursor though.

xorg.conf is has the usual "sudo amdcccle-initial" config option with the BusID. Tried commenting it, but it failed to start without it.

I'd be glad if someone could help me finally run the ati driver successfully . Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by yaji View Post
    No, its not broken.
    Confirmed. No issues here, building went fine on Ubuntu 11.10 (x86), I wasn't presented with any errors and installation went OK. It could be that they have fixed the issue and provided an updated download so you could try downloading it again.

About the new update:
    I'm quite happy. Finally some progress with the GNOME Shell issues!
    No more graphical corruption with overlay scroll bar handle's, tooltips and dropdown lists on websites. No more glitches when alternately hovering over the different icons in the notification area (bottom-right corner).

One thing I can't confirm to be fixed yet is the random crashing of GNOME Shell...since it's happening at random ;-)

The multi-monitor issue where you can't set the right-hand monitor to be primary unfortunately remains...

what about support for linux kernel 3.2 and greater? and any performance differences?