Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error-Fixing Btrfs FSCK Tool Is Imminent

Default Error-Fixing Btrfs FSCK Tool Is Imminent

Phoronix: Error-Fixing Btrfs FSCK Tool Is Imminent

An fsck utility capable of fixing problems on the Btrfs file-system is imminent. Plus other features continue to be worked on for this next-generation, open-source Linux file-system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0Njk

He compared btrfs to btrfs?

Smile

2012 is going to be an awesome year for free software

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been hearing "fsck for btrfs is being worked on and should be here soon" for over a year now.

What's the big deal about fsck? I've had a power loss corrupt ext4 beyond fsck repair, never had a problem with btrfs.

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    What's the big deal about fsck? I've had a power loss corrupt ext4 beyond fsck repair, never had a problem with btrfs.
    Perhaps it is more symbolic than anything. If the primary developer of the filesystem is unable to write a decent fsck utility, it may indicate that the filesystem is not yet stable enough or not well enough understood (or is too buggy) for serious use. On the other hand, if he CAN write a decent fsck utility...

Huge deal for me, I have had some very nasty corruptions that fsck has fixed up like a charm on ext4.

Default openSUSE

Article fails to mention openSUSE, which had btrfs in 11.4 for some time now (though experimental), and since november 2011 in openSUSE 12.1 it is possible to simply choose it during the install wizard. It even has snapshot capability built into YaST (snapper), so it can revert to the state of the filesystem before your last change for example. Phoronix is unfortunately, again, very Ubuntu biased.

How the heck do you know you don't have a problem since there's no fsck for it? Are you psychic?

I've had the exact opposite in my experience.