Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: id Software's Main Linux Game Developer Resigns

Default id Software's Main Linux Game Developer Resigns

Phoronix: id Software's Main Linux Game Developer Resigns

Timothee Bessett, the id Software developer that was responsible for porting many of id Software's popular games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 to Linux, has resigned from the popular game company...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0OTE

If we're lucky he'll bring another gaming company into the Linux world! All the luck to him, and thank you TTimo for your great work for the GNU/Linux and FOSS community!

Nooooooo!

I've actually emailed him once about some linux-related issues, and he was very friendly and helpful, even though it turned out that it was all my fault in the end.

TTimo, thank you for all your hard work in the past. Best luck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    If we're lucky he'll bring another gaming company into the Linux world! All the luck to him, and thank you TTimo for your great work for the GNU/Linux and FOSS community!
    I'll second that. Thank you TTimo for all the great Linux ports!

Best of luck with your new projects!

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    even though it turned out that it was all my fault in the end.
    Really? this sounds bad?

Noooo!

Best of luck TTimo

"I joined a small startup in Dallas, gaming related, but not fps or esports. "

He's probably making a linux MMPORG. That's where the money is at. As far as he's concerned the groundwork has already been laid for FPS on linux. Now its time to focus on other genres.

This could actually be good thing. It's not like he's intending to compete with Carmack. I love first person shooters too. But nothing but shooters, for decades and decades. Its easy to see a talented programmer getting bored of this. (with the obvious exception of Carmack, because he's the originator)

There's a need for other types of games on linux. Professional quality. If Timothee Bessett continues to work on linux games, then linux will truly be a multi-faceted gaming platform. And not just the "other OS". Timothee wants to make his own. Something completely different. And I think that's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by jltyper View Post
    "
    He's probably making a linux MMPORG. That's where the money is at. As far as he's concerned the groundwork has already been laid for FPS on linux. Now its time to focus on other genres.
    There's a need for other types of games on linux. Professional quality. If Timothee Bessett continues to work on linux games, then linux will truly be a multi-faceted gaming platform. And not just the "other OS". Timothee wants to make his own. Something completely different. And I think that's understandable.
    This is impossible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_D._Taylor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kirsch

Default I would have resigned to

Rage is awful.

They should follow Microsoft's 343 Studios. Remake Doom with the Doom 3 engine.

Destructible environments would be a plus. Rocket launching boiling death towards a steel door requiring a keycard, instant gratification.