Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: id Software's Main Linux Game Developer Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Rage is awful.
    Rage is not the problem, because we really need id Tech 5 for future linux games.

I don't really see the connection. Two wiki links doesn't prove anything is impossible.

Default id tech 5 vs id tech 4

That's wrong in so many levels.

1) You need to play the game to actually see the difference. One screenshot doesn't prove anything
    2) Independent game experts and reviews have always said good things about the game technology if even they don't like other aspects
    3) Carmack is involved with the game engine and not the artwork. So blaming him is just stupid

I could go on but this is enough for now.

John Carmack reverses the game industry.
    YOU reverse humanity. What we really don't need is you.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    That's wrong in so many levels.

1) You need to play the game to actually see the difference. One screenshot doesn't prove anything
    2) Independent game experts and reviews have always said good things about the game technology if even they don't like other aspects
    3) Carmack is involved with the game engine and not the artwork. So blaming him is just stupid

I could go on but this is enough for now.
    I don't understand why we don't have the UT3 engine on Linux either. Apparently they will be making a HTML5 / WebGL version but yet no Linux client... Ah well...
    I honestly can't wait for the Linux port of Rage!
    All the best to Tim and his future in (Linux) game development.

In theory ut3 and rage are supported via wine. the difference however is that ut3 is awfully slow due to the conversation from d3d to opengl. for rage the 3d rendering is 1:1 mapped and therefore MUCH faster. opengl games via wine vs native is no huge speed diff and you even gain the feature to press alt+tab which is often not possible with pure sdl ports. so you can play it, dont worry. It would be much worse when id software would produce d3d only games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    In theory ut3 and rage are supported via wine. the difference however is that ut3 is awfully slow due to the conversation from d3d to opengl. for rage the 3d rendering is 1:1 mapped and therefore MUCH faster. opengl games via wine vs native is no huge speed diff and you even gain the feature to press alt+tab which is often not possible with pure sdl ports. so you can play it, dont worry. It would be much worse when id software would produce d3d only games.
    Possibly id of today is very different to id of 10 years ago. That would explain why they might shift to Direct3D. If UT3 was OpenGL and Direct3D it would be a good means to test the differences in rendering systems.

I'm all for native over wine. Wine to me defeats some of the purpose of using Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have the UT3 engine on Linux either.
    Licensing issues.

I honestly can't wait for the Linux port of Rage!
    Don't hold your breath.

All the best to Tim and his future in (Linux) game development.
    His blog post says nothing about Linux.

they drop bump-mapping because: stereoscopic view techniques are incompatible with bump-mapping only Tessellation works with stereoscopic view!

so yes this is bad for all non stereoscopic view gamers.