Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Default Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Phoronix: Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Fedora 17 is moving forward with plans whereby the entire base operating system will live within /usr by condensing several common directories that have been long-standing to Linux distributions...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0OTY

Why move / -> /usr? Why not /usr -> / with /usr becoming a symlink to /?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquous View Post
    Agreed. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Aquous View Post
    Because /usr includes a lot of folders that aren't in /.

/usr/games
    /usr/libexec
    /usr/local
    /usr/share
    /usr/src
    /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

etc

src, share, local, and include are the normal ones that I see, not sure about games and libexec. In any event, do you spend a lot of time in / where a few extra directories would really bother you? Now that the stuff in /usr will only be in /usr, the grouping will be pretty arbitrary compared to what's sitting directly in /.

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    src, share, local, and include are the normal ones that I see, not sure about games and libexec. In any event, do you spend a lot of time in / where a few extra directories would really bother you? Now that the stuff in /usr will only be in /usr, the grouping will be pretty arbitrary compared to what's sitting directly in /.
    That's not the point. The point is that the directories in / that are being merged into /usr already exist in /usr.

The same is not true in the other direction -- as I just showed.

The unified file-system is a good idea and a step into the right direction and I'm looking forward to see the change in a lot more distributions.
    Btw., does someone know what happened to gobolinux? Unfortunately the project seems to be dead. While their file-system structure was certainly controversial, it was a consequent and interesting re-layout imho.

I think the goal is simply to make /[s]bin and /usr/[s]bin equivalent. You could achieve the same by moving the folders from /usr to /, but you would still need symlinks for compatibility (thus, /usr would remain), so there's really no point.

Also, see the page linked in the article:

Myth #11: Instead of merging / into /usr it would make a lot more sense to merge /usr into /.

Fact: This would make the separation between vendor-supplied OS resources and machine-specific even worse, thus making OS snapshots and network/container sharing of it much harder and non-atomic, and clutter the root file system with a multitude of new directories.
    Last edited by Nobu; 01-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.

The idea is you could mount an entire new distro onto /usr very easily or use snapshotting from btrfs to allow easier rollbacks

If you read the arguments for this you'll see that it's very thought out

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...ForTheUsrMerge

Myth #11: Instead of merging / into /usr it would make a lot more sense to merge /usr into /.
    Fact: This would make the separation between vendor-supplied OS resources and machine-specific even worse, thus making OS snapshots and network/container sharing of it much harder and non-atomic, and clutter the root file system with a multitude of new directories.
    I suggest that people at least TRY to read the FAQ.