Thread: KDE's Plasma Active Shipping On New ARM Tablet

Hybrid View

Default KDE's Plasma Active Shipping On New ARM Tablet

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma Active Shipping On New ARM Tablet

A new ARM-based tablet computer has been announced and it will be shipping KDE's Plasma Active as its default tablet UI experience...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1MDQ

Red face Awesome

Sounds great. I would very much like to also see a more powerful edition. Oh and I'm wondering what the battery life of this is. A great start/spark and I'm almost for sure buying one anyways. And I hope in the future we see even more open mobile hardware like this with a true Linux userspace.

Awesome news

I'm impressed! Good job to the kde team!

good project.

but only a toy for me because: my webbrowser(in my personal use) use 3.5gb ram with flash and 2gh ram without flash.
    this means 512mb ram is... hopeless.

Looks like someone is taking the opportunity to pick up cheaper less front-line tablets and shipping them with Plasma Active on them.

We really need front-line technology, example dual core or better, with hardware gfx and phone ability. Long battery life is also essential,. which isn't found on many no-name Chinese brands.

Being able to phone/3g/4g-data is the now ask for 7inch tablets.

I guess $250 is kind of a nice price entry.

Plasma Active team should really consider making it Android compatibile. Allowing owners of devices to run Android apps. That would be a killer feature that should draw customers.

Just looked up Mali-400 abilities and it's not that bad. The ability of the Mali-400 is inbetween the Tegra2 and Tegra3. It's about half the speed of the IPad2 GFX.

http://www.arm.com/products/multimed...ali-400-mp.php
    http://www.anandtech.com/tag/mali-400

I may actually buy one of these devices. The only concern now is battery life, lack of dual-core (which could make multitaking slow or stop escape to Android4), and lack of phone ability. I seriously want my next purchase to replace my small phone. Tablets are the way to go in replacing phones, if you're not a blue-colar worker that can maintain the device.

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    We really need front-line technology, example dual core or better, with hardware gfx and phone ability. Long battery life is also essential,. which isn't found on many no-name Chinese brands.
    Remember, this will not run under dalvik! You'll get much more performance out of it than you are used to on a single core ARM running Android. Potentially also longer battery-life because of the single core, but I think the developers would rather sacrifice that for a smaller device and a cheaper price.

Supporting Android officially would thus be a bad idea. It might be better to open up the device sufficiantly and let the community handle android like on the N900.

Edit: But yes, no GPS and 3G/4G will probably be a deal breaker for many.

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    I guess $250 is kind of a nice price entry.
    And here I think it's expensive. Like the other said, you can have this kind of tablet around $ 110. Sold it with 2x the price is overkill..