Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,093

    Default Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

    Phoronix: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

    This weekend at FOSDEM 2012 what Kristian Høgsberg is expected to say in Brussels will surprise many of you: Wayland 1.0 is gearing up for release as their first -- stable -- release. Wayland is supposed to be ready to take on the Linux desktop world...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1MTQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    575

    Default

    The question is: what do the Xorg developers think about all this? Are they the first one to think it's time to move to Wayland, or do they somehow have something againts all this?

  3. #3

    Default

    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.
    X will run as a user space process under Wayland for apps that haven't made the transition.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.
    Perhaps not a full browser yet, but the following screenshot shows a Webkit port running...

    http://wayland.freedesktop.org/webkit-wayland.png

    As for Flash - it might run under an X compatibility layer, though that would presumably rule out the use of a Wayland-native browser. But as you say, it's entirely tied to X, so it will never run natively under Wayland unless Adobe ports it. And I think the phrase "cold day in hell" applies to that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Perhaps not a full browser yet, but the following screenshot shows a Webkit port running...

    http://wayland.freedesktop.org/webkit-wayland.png

    As for Flash - it might run under an X compatibility layer, though that would presumably rule out the use of a Wayland-native browser. But as you say, it's entirely tied to X, so it will never run natively under Wayland unless Adobe ports it. And I think the phrase "cold day in hell" applies to that.
    I have actually (for the zealot purpose of FOSS) uninstalled Flash and I'm ignoring sites with it. There is definitely a pretty hard transition period, but I'm getting used to it. Youtube can play most videos in HTML5 now, and if it can't play it, well I'll live without it. If I really need to see something Flash based, I'll just fire up Chrome which comes with everything pre-packaged. I do like the idea of surfing the web using a browser that presents itself as "Flash not supported". Hopefully I'm doing my part in the war against flash.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.
    Intel employee already worked port of Chromium to Wayland. look into this Chromium dev thread:http://groups.google.com/a/chromium....8a0493522fb74d

  8. #8

    Default

    I also find that the Linux kernel has a lot of cool features that can make applications faster, safer and simpler, and we often don't use those in the name of portability. There is an accept4 syscall that lets you accept a connection on a socket and sets O_CLOEXEC atomically. The epoll mechanism with timerfd and signalfd does most of what many complex userspace event loops do in many thousands of lines of code. We need to embrace all the new features the kernel offers and not insist on some outdated lowest common denominator.
    Make the Linux OS, please and don't care about ancient crap that always slowed you down. Linux+wayland+systemd is the future.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Make the Linux OS, please and don't care about ancient crap that always slowed you down. Linux+wayland+systemd is the future.
    Totally agree.

    To all of the network-transpara-tards: Network transparency in X was somebody's great idea before people had properly figured out the right way to do that kind of thing: web applications, and/or VNC. You might as well get on board with doing things the way they should be done, or commit yourself to using old computers, old operating systems, and old applications. Have fun with that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Make the Linux OS, please and don't care about ancient crap that always slowed you down. Linux+wayland+systemd is the future.
    +1 with that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •