Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

Hybrid View

Default Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

Phoronix: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

This weekend at FOSDEM 2012 what Kristian Høgsberg is expected to say in Brussels will surprise many of you: Wayland 1.0 is gearing up for release as their first -- stable -- release. Wayland is supposed to be ready to take on the Linux desktop world...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1MTQ

The question is: what do the Xorg developers think about all this? Are they the first one to think it's time to move to Wayland, or do they somehow have something againts all this?

I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.
    X will run as a user space process under Wayland for apps that haven't made the transition.

Perhaps not a full browser yet, but the following screenshot shows a Webkit port running...

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/webkit-wayland.png

As for Flash - it might run under an X compatibility layer, though that would presumably rule out the use of a Wayland-native browser. But as you say, it's entirely tied to X, so it will never run natively under Wayland unless Adobe ports it. And I think the phrase "cold day in hell" applies to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Perhaps not a full browser yet, but the following screenshot shows a Webkit port running...

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/webkit-wayland.png

As for Flash - it might run under an X compatibility layer, though that would presumably rule out the use of a Wayland-native browser. But as you say, it's entirely tied to X, so it will never run natively under Wayland unless Adobe ports it. And I think the phrase "cold day in hell" applies to that.
    I have actually (for the zealot purpose of FOSS) uninstalled Flash and I'm ignoring sites with it. There is definitely a pretty hard transition period, but I'm getting used to it. Youtube can play most videos in HTML5 now, and if it can't play it, well I'll live without it. If I really need to see something Flash based, I'll just fire up Chrome which comes with everything pre-packaged. I do like the idea of surfing the web using a browser that presents itself as "Flash not supported". Hopefully I'm doing my part in the war against flash.

Cool

Intel employee already worked port of Chromium to Wayland. look into this Chromium dev thread:http://groups.google.com/a/chromium....8a0493522fb74d

I also find that the Linux kernel has a lot of cool features that can make applications faster, safer and simpler, and we often don't use those in the name of portability. There is an accept4 syscall that lets you accept a connection on a socket and sets O_CLOEXEC atomically. The epoll mechanism with timerfd and signalfd does most of what many complex userspace event loops do in many thousands of lines of code. We need to embrace all the new features the kernel offers and not insist on some outdated lowest common denominator.
    Make the Linux OS, please and don't care about ancient crap that always slowed you down. Linux+wayland+systemd is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Make the Linux OS, please and don't care about ancient crap that always slowed you down. Linux+wayland+systemd is the future.
    Totally agree.

To all of the network-transpara-tards: Network transparency in X was somebody's great idea before people had properly figured out the right way to do that kind of thing: web applications, and/or VNC. You might as well get on board with doing things the way they should be done, or commit yourself to using old computers, old operating systems, and old applications. Have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    +1 with that