Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

Default Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

Phoronix: Wayland Preparing For 1.0 Stable Release

This weekend at FOSDEM 2012 what Kristian Høgsberg is expected to say in Brussels will surprise many of you: Wayland 1.0 is gearing up for release as their first -- stable -- release. Wayland is supposed to be ready to take on the Linux desktop world...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1MTQ

The question is: what do the Xorg developers think about all this? Are they the first one to think it's time to move to Wayland, or do they somehow have something againts all this?

I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I wan't to see a webbrowser running on wayland. And what about Adobe Flash, will this ever run on wayland? AFAIK it has got some hard dependencies on X. And as much as I hate the thing, I really need the plugin for some websites.
    X will run as a user space process under Wayland for apps that haven't made the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Perhaps not a full browser yet, but the following screenshot shows a Webkit port running...

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/webkit-wayland.png

As for Flash - it might run under an X compatibility layer, though that would presumably rule out the use of a Wayland-native browser. But as you say, it's entirely tied to X, so it will never run natively under Wayland unless Adobe ports it. And I think the phrase "cold day in hell" applies to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    The question is: what do the Xorg developers think about all this?
    Who do you think created Wayland?

i'm really excited to test wayland, and i'd really like to see some comparisons of it vs X. as much as i can tell amd and nvidia dislike working on linux drivers, if wayland is as simplified as stated, it might be EASIER to make drivers for it, and it might perform better.

as for kde support, i'd say that kde5 should be the beginning of wayland support. i think that'd be a great way to start a clean slate for kde, and reduce confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Former Xorg developers created Wayland, aka Kristian Høgsberg and many others.
    X developers in general are quite supportive of the effort since it uses all of the infrastructure built over several years including DRM and kernel mode setting. It is a logical successor to X. Fedora's take on the subject is at

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/145273.html

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    X developers in general are quite supportive of the effort since it uses all of the infrastructure built over several years including DRM and kernel mode setting. It is a logical successor to X. Fedora's take on the subject is at

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/145273.html
    After reading that thread I have a complete lack of confidence in seeing well-implemented network transparency in a Wayland context. I know I shouldn't be so cynical, but I can't help but think that this is going to go as well as gnome shell.

Of course, without vendor buy-in it's a non-starter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    After reading that thread I have a complete lack of confidence in seeing well-implemented network transparency in a Wayland context
    Don't see why

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/145290.html

"The downsides that have been described include:

- We lose network transparency! Well, sure, the protocol doesn't have
    that directly. You can still do vnc-like things trivially and with a
    modest amount of additional wayland protocol (or just inter-client
    conventions) you can do spice-like things. This is good, not bad,
    because efficient remoting protocols do not look like X. Now we get to
    design a good one, and in the meantime vnc-style remoting sure does go a
    long way towards being good enough. (But, we can't switch yet, because
    we don't even have vnc-style remoting yet; so we're not switching yet.)"