Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Compiz On Its Deathbed?

Default Is Compiz On Its Deathbed?

Phoronix: Is Compiz On Its Deathbed?

Sparked from a posting earlier this week about Compiz likely being dropped from Fedora 17, some are wondering whether Compiz is effectively dead...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1Mjc

What we could use is a decent general composite manager. Right now you've got xcompmgr, and the Cairo composite manager. The former is just a demo that can do a few functions like transparency, and the latter is pretty buggy and hasn't looked active since I learned of it over a year ago.

Compiz is not dead, it's just focused on Ubuntu. GNOME Shell has Mutter, KDE has KWin4, so Compiz is focusing on Unity, obviously, with Canonical paying for the main developer. Compiz 0.9.7 has been in development for over 4 months now and will hit Ubuntu 12.04 before the first Beta release.

It will be interesting to see what happens after Ubuntu 12.04. It's a race between Unity+Compiz and Unity+Qt (aka Unity 2D), so maybe it will get dropped later on.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Compiz is focusing on Unity, obviously, with Canonical paying for the main developer.
    Then why does he write on his blog "I have failed the Ubuntu community."?

Quote Originally Posted by 0xCAFE View Post
    i think its clear they will go with unity 2D means QT(kwin4).

nothing special here. the KDE dudes work hard for the good result.

also i think its easy to port QT to Wayland display server to drop X.

this means they drop compiz +x server in the same time.

there is Linux Mint which has still compiz.
    MATE desktop can use compiz features and i dont really complain about the bugs. in fact im using 0.9.6 and havent countered any problems with it. tho i dont use all the features from there.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx
    It's a race between Unity+Compiz and Unity+Qt (aka Unity 2D), so maybe it will get dropped later on.
    Qt is not a window manager. As it stands Unity 2D is using tweaked version of Metacity as window manager and probably will switch to Compiz at some point or another. It was planned in the past but I guess it was pushed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i think its clear they will go with unity 2D means QT(kwin4).

nothing special here. the KDE dudes work hard for the good result.

also i think its easy to port QT to Wayland display server to drop X.

this means they drop compiz +x server in the same time.
    Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?
    1. There's no problem with using Compiz on Unity 2D or any Qt application for that matter. It has also been rewritten in C++ (also used by Qt)
    2. There has been effort to port Compiz to OpenGL ES 2 which is prerequisite for Wayland support and if I'm not mistaken it's almost done.
    3. Porting Qt to Wayland has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.
    4. Unity3D is based on Compiz and as it stands there is no plans to drop it.
    5. Ubuntu has hired the lead Compiz developer and invested heavily on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xCAFE
    Probably because everything didn't go as well as planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Qt is not a window manager. As it stands Unity 2D is using tweaked version of Metacity as window manager and probably will switch to Compiz at some point or another. It was planned in the past but I guess it was pushed back.

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?
    1. There's no problem with using Compiz on Unity 2D or any Qt application for that matter. It has also been rewritten in C++ (also used by Qt)
    2. There has been effort to port Compiz to OpenGL ES 2 which is prerequisite for Wayland support and if I'm not mistaken it's almost done.
    3. Porting Qt to Wayland has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.
    4. Unity3D is based on Compiz and as it stands there is no plans to drop it.
    5. Ubuntu has hired the lead Compiz developer and invested heavily on it.

Probably because everything didn't go as well as planned?
    why doing unity2D? if ubuntu drop compiz they can jump on Kwin windows manager.

I'm sure they will do this after the 12.04 release.

this save a lot of "money"

Compiz has fallen hard from its Beryl and Fusion days.

It used to be the face of the 3D Linux desktop.

But we can't have it anymore since Gnome 3 and Unity make it impossible to use it.

why doing unity2D? if ubuntu drop compiz they can jump on Kwin windows manager.
    Both window managers have fair share of their own problems. Large projects like Ubuntu don't just jump from window manager to window manager and like I said there's no plans to drop Unity 3D as of now and as long as it stays Canonical has to invest in Compiz. That makes the choise of window manager quite obvious for the Unity 2D as long as the remaining issues why it hasn't been adopted yet has been solved. KWin's 2D mode sucks and it's kinda important for environmet that is essentially meant for that...

I'm sure they will do this after the 12.04 release.
    You should apply a little more self-criticism to your thinking.