Thread: Goodbye ATI

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    At the end of the day, it would seem that AMD treats Linux more like a second-class citizen than NVidia. Not that this isn't justified. They have their numbers on how many Linux users buy their hardware; the vast majority of their income comes from Windows users. So it is justified that their Linux support is lacking. Do not forget that they're a business, not a charity organization.
    Thats just not correct! Linux is about opensource development that brings by far more choice, security and options!! Linux can do anything windoze can do and much much more! You want your game for linux? No problem - every single piece in gaming stack is HERE! You want to distribute your game? No problem - package management and even desura are here! You want to distribute proprietary game (which model is not on paar to FLOSS; but - windows uses SO MUCH GPL and BSD, this question is just ethical, not technical) - NO PROBLEM!

I see no reason to prefer windows over linux, except.... THE CARD YOU PURCHASE HAS PUNY DRIVERS BECAUSE CARD MANUFACTURER DOES NOT CARE. You are BUYING their CARD, so you have RIGHT TO RECIEVE SUPPORT FOR OS YOU USE! Linux is MAINSTREAM OS!!

As a MANUFACTURER you are either INTERESTED IN THAT MARKET SEGMENT, or NOT. We are not talking about ANY charity! You are voting with MONEY.

The main difference between my position and AMD current position is that I expect "opensource" attribute to become a BONUS together with existing attributes, like performance, hardware support range, features, software stack support. You can sacrifice SOME for the other, but you will NOT sacrifice COMPANY SUPPORT behind "opensource" attributed driver.

This is what Intel does.

AMD on the other hand wants opensource to be some kind of fall-back, legacy hardware driver. Their official position is that opensource WILL NOT bring them more card sales! Hence they keep opensource crew at 4 members! They say linux market is 1%. They also say amount of engineers working on windows driver is 1000. Whats 1% from 1000? And for lack of ANY further interest in linux, they even refuse to provide ANY kind of backtracking mechanism, which means they DO NOT CARE for opensource driver as being ANY keypoint to their SELLING.

Now if you start reading previous paragraph BACKWARDS you will see what they SHOULD do to gain more linux sales!

You say - there is no apples here.. I have hunger - I want to buy some(shows money), Im 1% of population of earth - other live in city smoges.

They justify it as following:
    - it is desert 25 kilometers till river
    - the river has many alligators
    - we have no money to get there too
    - you should go live in smog city
    See? They just justify their position with situation. This is not called "development" or "envolvement" or "progress". This is called ignorance.
    --- we do not care!

But they *should* be doing it this way:
    - how much of you are here?
    - how much will it cost to lay pipes and kill aligators and plant trees?
    - can you start signing for every apple we sell you, that you would like to eat it in desert?
    ... watching response to expendetures, moduling situation
    -> carrying out the plan: laying pipes, selling apples, getting MORE profit as desert becomes GREEN. Due to THEIR ACTION.
    or
    -> officially stating we sell apples only in cities and allowing OTHER to recieve profit.

Lets sum up:
    they refuse to do statistics or any kind of feedback
    they refuse to see opensource as selling point at any point in future or today
    they refuse to stand behind opensource driver except funding 4-5 people that simply have NO PHYSICAL ability to back it up on paar with fglrx
    they refuse to give you ability to vote with your money

Where will their opensource driver do good for you? When you purchase VERY OLD card, and even then it will not be completely backed-up (company support?).

From my point of view, they are just tunnel-visioned or ignorant, or both. If Intel introduces own discrete GPU or APU modular accelerator in form of slotted PCIE card - intel will be driving all linux sales!
    Last edited by crazycheese; 02-08-2012 at 04:51 AM.