Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: NVIDIA Releases 295.20 Linux Drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,759

    Default NVIDIA Releases 295.20 Linux Drivers

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 295.20 Linux Drivers

    NVIDIA this morning formally released the 295.20 display drivers for Linux x86/x86_64...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NzM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Added a "--no-opengl-files" option to nvidia-installer to allow installation of the driver without OpenGL files that might conflict with already installed OpenGL implementations.
    Did nvidia just add a feature to help with bumblebee (optimus) installations? ;-)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    1 release in Nvidia fix same quantity of bugs like 12 release in Ati/AMD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Well, it's not all rosy in NVidia land though. VDPAU still doesn't work with KDE when composite is active. Also, KDE becomes slow as molasses when the driver switches the card to low power state (50Mhz GPU clock.) Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.

    Overall though it's much better than the experience I had with the ATI card.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, it's not all rosy in NVidia land though. VDPAU still doesn't work with KDE when composite is active. Also, KDE becomes slow as molasses when the driver switches the card to low power state (50Mhz GPU clock.) Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.

    Overall though it's much better than the experience I had with the ATI card.
    the big problem in linux, is the rolling release, NEVER we could get stable software since the versions are changing constantly, AERO is the same s*** since win vista and it had at least 4 years where the drivers were improved to handle it like all windows versions (adding that the manufacturers dont care another thing different of microsoft due to the Quantity of users involved) . A SP in windows brings problems too, but you cannot compare a SP upgrade againts a newer kernel version. Linux grows faster left behind the others main sources. I guess this should change in a near future.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Did nvidia just add a feature to help with bumblebee (optimus) installations? ;-)
    I was just wondering if they might have made it possible for the Nv blob and mesa to co-exist peacefully, which would make it much easier for me to switch back and forth.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    150

    Default

    They can coexist if you use a separate directory for Nvidia's gl stuff. AFAIK, it's still needed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.
    ?

    Areo on Vista is the slowest desktop I have ever had. It takes 5+ minutes for the right side desktop menus to show up. It is not that bad on Win7.

    Still, on my machine KDE beats Vista's Areo by a great margin.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    ?

    Areo on Vista is the slowest desktop I have ever had. It takes 5+ minutes for the right side desktop menus to show up. It is not that bad on Win7.

    Still, on my machine KDE beats Vista's Areo by a great margin.
    As I said, Aero is perfectly smooth with the GPU running at 50MHz. KDE totally craps out and I need to raise the clock to 400Mhz to get a fluid desktop. These results don't lie.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I was just wondering if they might have made it possible for the Nv blob and mesa to co-exist peacefully, which would make it much easier for me to switch back and forth.
    This was already possible. Unless the distro didn't bother with it, that is. On Gentoo, you switch between OpenGL (and also OpenCL) implementations at runtime and at any moment you like. I was under the impression other distros would have a similar setup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •