Thread: Snd-Oxygen For C-Media's CMI8788

Default Snd-Oxygen For C-Media's CMI8788

Phoronix: Snd-Oxygen For C-Media's CMI8788

We discovered back in September when running the Razer Barracuda AC-1 with ALSA 1.0.15 that this sound card was quite problematic with the initial CMI8788 ALSA driver. However, last month we reported that the driver was being rewritten from scratch with a much brighter outlook. We have retested the Barracuda AC-1 with its C-Media CMI8788 Oxygen APU using the latest snd-oxygen driver, which also works with other high-end sound cards such as the ASUS Xonar and Auzentech X-Meridian.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11548

This is excellent news, a big 'well done' too all those involved.

Default 5.1 surround sound ?

Yes I agree! Excellent work as usual!

Btw, does the surround sound work correctly?

From what I can read on the developer homepage it should work. However it would be really nice if this feature could be tested as well. I happen to have a Barracuda HP-1 headset which I use with 5.1 surround.

Best Regards

Well, nice, BUT:
    The biggest and most important feature of this chip hasn't been mentioned at all.
    The capability to encode Dolby Digital and DTS, to pass them through the spdif to a DD/DTS receiver.

Does that work?
    Does this actually work with any of the cmedia cards (older cards also have this capability)?

Maybe need to check on the ALSA site for info on what the driver will support...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Maybe need to check on the ALSA site for info on what the driver will support...
    Not mentioned there either (or am I blind)?

Anyway, those chips aren't really for sale anymore, so since I don't own one already, it could be worse.