Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demo Of The Lima Driver On The KDE Spark Tablet

Default Demo Of The Lima Driver On The KDE Spark Tablet

Phoronix: Demo Of The Lima Driver On The KDE Spark Tablet

The recently announced KDE Spark Tablet has an ARM Mali 400 as its graphics processor, which right now is backed by a closed-source user-space driver but that's changing thanks to the Lima driver that's providing a reverse-engineered open-source ARM Mali driver. Here's a demo of the Lima driver's Limare stack running on the KDE Spark Tablet hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NjY

When I buy a tablet it has to replace my phone, so I don't think I'll be buying a Spark as it doesn’t have a sim slot.

The good thing about this driver (lima) is that it should be able to modified to work with the next GFX chip in the mali-400 family coming in 2013 that is supposed to be massively faster.

i don't understand the hype about closed source hardware?

sure they write opensource drivers now but other hardware do have opensource drivers supported by the hardware company them self.

for example a amd-hardware based table.

for example: MSI WindPad 110W

in the end they only hype the ARM chip based solution only because its "cheap"

Q: the most important reason why arm is so big these days is because it is hitting performance/watt that x86 cannot get even close to today. Top end performance is of course x86, but bottom end, where battery life matters, arm is unbeatable.

Not to mention a windpad costs $600 O.o I mean seriously that is way out of the tablet sweetspot of $100-150

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    Not to mention a windpad costs $600 O.o I mean seriously that is way out of the tablet sweetspot of $100-150
    I agree. I don't have money problems but I refuse to pay $399+ for a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

sure they write opensource drivers now but other hardware do have opensource drivers supported by the hardware company them self.

What a terrible example. Sure you get to use opensource drivers but you pay the windows tax for that privilege...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

for example a amd-hardware based table. [tablet]

in the end they only hype the ARM chip based solution only because its "cheap"
    Wrong, show me an Open AMD ARM 3D implementation then we will talk, AMD have Not written any 3D Floss code for their gfx as found inside the so called massive "infotainment" sector, as found inside the freescale ARM A8 i.mx5 device in the years its been available, thats right AMD don't open oss their gfx,bsp,sdk in the ARM space ether.

ARM routinely measure their SOC on performance/Milliwatt (The milliwatt is equal to one thousandth (10−3) of a watt) not performance/watt , show me any x86 based core SOC (System On a Chip) today that can say the same and mean/show it generally
    Last edited by popper; 02-11-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libv View Post
    Q: the most important reason why arm is so big these days is because it is hitting performance/watt that x86 cannot get even close to today. Top end performance is of course x86, but bottom end, where battery life matters, arm is unbeatable.
    you just compare apples with bananas. you can not compare a 32bit cpu with an 64bit cpu!
    i wait in the year 2014 arm will release there 64bit version then we can compare it without 32 bit fake!
    for me 32bit is a joke i like systems with 32gb ram and more and not 4gb ram.
    and no PAE is just fake! if you compare arm+PAE vs nativ 64bit then ARM lose all benchmarks only because of PAE.

this means i don't believe your performance/watt argument because i only count nativ-64bit apps.

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    i write this already: "in the end they only hype the ARM chip based solution only because its "cheap" "

i accept the "Price" argument.