Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Miguel de Icaza Calls For More Mono, C# Games

Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    No respect from and for this guy Miguel...
    He doesn't deserve any respect. I wonder if the Free Software Foundation could take his award for promoting free software away now that he's dropped all pretenses of promoting free software and is a Microsoft MVP that promotes their products.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
    What about Vala for games?
    I believe there are bindings for SDL and OpenGL so it's certainly doable, also although Vala's syntax is modeled after C# it compiles to first to C and then native code which means it performs better. There's also garbage collecting through ref counting iirc.

Other alternatives would be Google's Go which is fully garbage collected but compiles to native code and has strong language support for concurrency. There's SDL, OpenGL, GLFW bindings for it last time I checked but given that it's relatively new and still in development I wouldn't suggest starting a serious project in it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMage89 View Post
    For that matter, what happened to using C++ in a sane OO way, which makes manual memory management pretty painless in most cases?
    True, if we don't count flash games then C++ is most likely still the number one language in which games are written and it's not as if RAII is a unknown concept in C++ game programming.

So the SimS 3 is written in mono? Now that explains the abysmal performance for the medium-to-low graphical quality!

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    So the SimS 3 is written in mono? Now that explains the abysmal performance for the medium-to-low graphical quality!
    I am sure the game is written in C/C++ and some little parts in C#. He just has to promote the product he makes money on...

God damn is there a whole mess of incredibly thick stupid in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    God damn is there a whole mess of incredibly thick stupid in this thread.
    Yes but before you arrived it was quite okay

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    I believe there are bindings for SDL and OpenGL so it's certainly doable, also although Vala's syntax is modeled after C# it compiles to first to C and then native code which means it performs better. There's also garbage collecting through ref counting iirc.

Other alternatives would be Google's Go which is fully garbage collected but compiles to native code and has strong language support for concurrency.
    C# does support compiling to native code as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    C# does support compiling to native code as well.
    Yes but that kind of defeats the purpose/strength of the language and you are still dependant on the CLR VM for it to run.

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Yes but that kind of defeats the purpose/strength of the language and you are still dependant on the CLR VM for it to run.
    Not really - it's common to release assemblies that are in MSIL, and then they get compiled to native when they are installed on the local machine.