Thread: Canonical's New Spin: Ubuntu Business Remix

Default Canonical's New Spin: Ubuntu Business Remix

Phoronix: Canonical's New Spin: Ubuntu Business Remix

While Canonical dropped official support for Kubuntu, this morning Mark Shuttleworth announced a new Ubuntu spin: Ubuntu Business Desktop Remix...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NTk

I like the initiative but I have never quite understood why would any company use the word "Remix" in product they try to market. To me at least it looks very unprofessional and downright childish; business isn't good either in this context. I would go with similar naming to SEL and RHEL:
    Ubuntu Enterprise Linux (UEL)
    Ubuntu Enterprise Edition (UEE)
    Ubuntu Enteprise Desktop (UED)
    ...or something like that.

Default Shuttleworth is targetting corporate buyers

Can't say I blame him. That's where the money is at. It could turn out to be a good strategy, and I hope it works out for him.

Is this Unity in a business edition still default DE/WM? Ouch.

Is Debian in danger now?

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    I like the initiative but I have never quite understood why would any company use the word "Remix" in product they try to market. To me at least it looks very unprofessional and downright childish; business isn't good either in this context. (...)
    "Remix" is used for unofficial versions of Ubuntu with a different package selection (and/or some other content added). So I assume that means they are just testing this for now...

Default Non-Free Software By Default

So Canonical has broken their promise and is now offering a version of Ubuntu with proprietary applications installed by default. I am disappointed but not surprised by their lack of integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    So Canonical has broken their promise and is now offering a version of Ubuntu with proprietary applications installed by default. I am disappointed but not surprised by their lack of integrity.
    Interesting. I didn't know Canonical promised to never ship proprietary software.

Isn't small business dropping like flies in West?

I think the important areas to get business users would be to supply good accounting programs (which is compatible or can import, with other big name software and have modules for a tax to suit nation), point-of-sales software, desktop-publishing, and a good word-processor.

Default gnome 2

Anything with business in the wording would be ill prepared without Gnome2.