Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Nouveau Working On Video Decoding & More

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Nouveau Working On Video Decoding & More

    Phoronix: Nouveau Working On Video Decoding & More

    For those wondering what the Nouveau project has been up to with their open-source NVIDIA efforts via reverse-engineering besides the working OpenCL support, they have been setting their eyes on video decoding and other areas...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    448

    Default Is NVIDIA's video decoding engine more obfuscated than AMD's?

    If NVIDIA's video decoder can be reverse engineered, then perhaps AMD's can be too?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    701

    Default Can you post video from DX10/11 work by Nouveau devs ?

    In the video there is mentioned presentation about DX10/11 work for nouveau, can you post some info about it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    461

    Default

    i'm about halfway through the video, so excuse me if it's in the video somewhere, but what is or will be the name of the rewritten nvfx 3d driver?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    In the video there is mentioned presentation about DX10/11 work for nouveau, can you post some info about it?
    Well, hmm, how to say, the work is merged in mesa but the thing is that it isn't useful at all for the moment. It is a big hack and will remain one as long as gallium won't support directx10/11. When this happens, I'm sure we will give instructions to users.

    AFAIK, only its developer has been able to use it .... as a way to reverse nvidia cards. That's all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    i'm about halfway through the video, so excuse me if it's in the video somewhere, but what is or will be the name of the rewritten nvfx 3d driver?
    The name will remain the same AFAIK.

    As said during the talk, the mesa update will rely on the new libdrm version. This rewrite should be kind of complete and is currently tested by porting the gallium drivers to the new architecture. When it proves to be sufficient, some polishing will take place and we should be all set for releasing the whole package

    Here are the slides of the FOSDEM2012 presentation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    As there are quadro cards out there with the same chipset, what happens when you use the quadro commands on consumer cards? There have been often hacks to enable features, what is possible here? Can you get quadro features or just the geforce ones for opencl?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    The name will remain the same AFAIK.

    As said during the talk, the mesa update will rely on the new libdrm version. This rewrite should be kind of complete and is currently tested by porting the gallium drivers to the new architecture. When it proves to be sufficient, some polishing will take place and we should be all set for releasing the whole package

    Here are the slides of the FOSDEM2012 presentation.
    Sorry, but I have to correct you here. There is still a good deal of work to do in the rewritten nvfx driver, as it is not only porting nvfx to the new libdrm, but also adapting the nv50 driver model. This will provide a far more cleaner codebase (maintainability greaty improved) and hopefully will enable some new features. The rewritten driver will follow the naming scheme of the other nouveau gallium drivers and so will be most likely be called nv30.

    So anybody reading here: don't expect anything too soon. The new libdrm is a big break for all pieces of the userspace stack, so we need to do a good deal of validation before pushing out anything to the users.
    Last edited by Lynxeye; 02-10-2012 at 07:43 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    As there are quadro cards out there with the same chipset, what happens when you use the quadro commands on consumer cards? There have been often hacks to enable features, what is possible here? Can you get quadro features or just the geforce ones for opencl?
    What features specifically are you speaking of here? Quadros have some software enabled features like smooth line rendering that are mostly useful for CAD-like software, this things are enabled in the nouveau 3D drivers if they are reversed and supported by the rest of the MESA stack.

    I'm not aware of any big differences between GeForce and Quadro in terms of OpenCL. Only thing I can think of is ECC support for the RAM, but this is a hardware feature, so you won't get this on consumer cards.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxeye View Post
    Sorry, but I have to correct you here. There is still a good deal of work to do in the rewritten nvfx driver, as it is not only porting nvfx to the new libdrm, but also adapting the nv50 driver model. This will provide a far more cleaner codebase (maintainability greaty improved) and hopefully will enable some new features. The rewritten driver will follow the naming scheme of the other nouveau gallium drivers and so will be most likely be called nv30.

    So anybody reading here: don't expect anything too soon. The new libdrm is a big break for all pieces of the userspace stack, so we need to do a good deal of validation before pushing out anything to the users.
    /me should have been clearer. I was only talking about the libdrm rewrite, not nvfx.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •