Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: There's Hope For DMA-BUF With Non-GPL Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    yea ,the OMAP5 ARM Cortex-A15 processor [omap54??] running at “only” 800Mhz compared to a 1.3Ghz ARM Cortex-A9 Quad-core processor looks to have nice potential on the surface,for Trim-Slice type box etc
    http://armdevices.net/2012/02/22/web...ap5-vs-tegra3/

i do wonder what official memory bandwidth and dual or single channel etc they are using there, as it is key to getting better overall data throughout today, any clue what that might be given TI have gone public with that SOC now, say hi to Charbax if your going to MWC this year and remember to collect up the data sheets and give him the full specs and speeds not just the PR stuff/fluff please LOL
    I won't be at MWC (/me just a hacker) but the OMAP5432 variant w/ dual-channel DDR3 is probably well suited to a trim-slice type box. There is also OMAP5430 which supports dual-channel LPDDR2 (IIRC) if PCB space is at a premium, but normal DDR is cheaper and something the size of trim-slice has plenty of PCB area compared to a phone. Both variants have SATA.

BR,
    -R

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    You don't have a vote in this since you didn't even write a single line of kernel code. So there goes your daydream.

And even if you had written kernel code, you'd need permission from everyone who ever wrote kernel code that is still included in the kernel, since Linux does not have a copyright assignment policy. That means, the kernel is stuck with GPLv2 forever. According to the kernel devs, this is not a bad thing though, since they're very hostile to Stallman and his Freeness crusade.
    I'm with Linus and his guys here.

Free is an ideal, and pragmatism takes precedence over idealism any time. The Linux kernel is probably the best example of how free and proprietary can come together to create a decent experience, since it plays nice with both free and non-free kmods / drivers / software.

If RMS had his way Linux would have been just another Hurd today.

That said, is there a source for your claim that Linus and the kernel devs are very hostile to RMS's mindless 'Freedom' preaches? A link, perhaps?I would love to read the discussion that took place.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 02-23-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    That said, is there a source for your claim that Linus and the kernel devs are very hostile to RMS's mindless 'Freedom' preaches? A link, perhaps? I would love to read the discussion that took place.
    Yep, and it's lots of fun :-)

https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/25/161

Quote from Linus Torvalds:

Well, you do have to realize that Linux has never been an FSF project, and
    in fact has never even been a "Free Software" project.

The whole "Open Source" renaming was done largely _exactly_ because people
    wanted to distance themselves from the FSF. The fact that the FSF and it's
    followers refused to accept the name "Open Source", and continued to call
    Linux "Free Software" is not _our_ fault.
    This for the people who still claim that Linux is about "Free software". It freakin' isn't. It never was. And it never will be. Get over it. If you can't, go install GNU Hurd or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post

Quote from Linus Torvalds:

Well, you do have to realize that Linux has never been an FSF project, and
    in fact has never even been a "Free Software" project.

The whole "Open Source" renaming was done largely _exactly_ because people
    wanted to distance themselves from the FSF. The fact that the FSF and it's
    followers refused to accept the name "Open Source", and continued to call
    Linux "Free Software" is not _our_ fault.
    This for the people who still claim that Linux is about "Free software". It freakin' isn't. It never was. And it never will be. Get over it. If you can't, go install GNU Hurd or something.
    *awesome comment*.

I read that and (literally) was laughing out loud.

nice one.