Thread: OpenChome Picks Up New VIA Support, But Still Lags

Default OpenChome Picks Up New VIA Support, But Still Lags

Phoronix: OpenChome Picks Up New VIA Support, But Still Lags

The xf86-video-openchrome driver has seen its first proper release in quite a while. The xf86-video-openchrome 0.2.905 release has support for new hardware and features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NjM

i don't find getting 3d to work on this is worth it - it isn't really capable of even the simplest 3d tasks even in windows. 2d acceleration and video decoding i think would be great features to work on. i'm sure it might be bad at doing those too but its better than cpu only.

i do fear for VIA, since they are so far behind in the x86 department. i also personally haven't seen a motherboard with a via chipset since pentium 4 was still new (but i've seen a few via devices here and there). i think via and amd should combine. i'm sure via has pretty good engineers but they don't have the money to manufacture anything good.

I'd say to give up VIA completely but then there is a lot of thin client devices and such which all carry a C3 or C7 plus the typical surrounding VIA chipsets. For the sake of these machines I'm grateful that some people still try to get some code to run there. B.t.w. HTC is so close to VIA I wouldn't buy a single device from them.
    What is absolutely ridiculous is that the OLPC once switched from Geode to VIA stuff.