Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Islands HDMI audio?

Hybrid View

Default Northern Islands HDMI audio?

Can I ask what is the state of play with HDMI audio on Northern Islands? I know it is pretty much done now for Evergreen thanks to Rafał Miłecki, but for N. I. the X.Org wiki says "Todo". My HD 4670 has pretty much given up the ghost (& doesn't seem to respond to the oven-baking trick either) so I am looking now at upgrading to "Turks" (HD 6670) as that looks like the nearest equivalent in the N. I. range and TDP should be OK for my passive HTPC case. Our main use is for HTPC TV & media playback, so 3D performance is not of great interest to us. I am also looking ahead to 3D TV...even though I know it is early days yet - HDMI 1.4 seems to be a requirement for that, which is available on N.I. h/w but not Evergreen as far as I can see.

If anyone (@zajec or Christian Konig?) is working on N. I. HDMI audio (or planning to) I am up for registry hacking, testing or anything else I can do to help. I did some of this for HD 4670 HDMI audio on radeonhd a while back. If HDMI audio is a foreseeable prospect we can manage on fglrx and/or separate audio for the time being. As stated above I would plan on purchasing HD 6670 h/w.

On the topic of HDMI 1.4, is support for that planned in radeon OSS driver, or already done - or is it all done in h/w anyway?

Regards,
    Andrew

Unhappy

I am 6850 owner. It still doesn't support HDMI audio.

My advice is keep away from ATI cards if you want to use it on Linux with Open Sourced Radeon Drivers..
    The worst thing is, it consumes ~90W extra on IDLE. Yes on IDLE.
    I have to use my integrated RS780 for save power.
    Even if I use echo "low" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile, it consumes ~20 more watt than catalyst driver "using same card!"
    But using "low profile" slow down GPU. And it reacts slower than my integrated GPU.
    There is some automated modes available also. Like "dnypm" method. But it gives you flickers!

I don't recommend ATI to anyone until their open sourced "Power" problems fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    If anyone (@zajec or Christian Konig?) is working on N. I. HDMI audio (or planning to) I am up for registry hacking, testing or anything else I can do to help. I did some of this for HD 4670 HDMI audio on radeonhd a while back. If HDMI audio is a foreseeable prospect we can manage on fglrx and/or separate audio for the time being. As stated above I would plan on purchasing HD 6670 h/w.

On the topic of HDMI 1.4, is support for that planned in radeon OSS driver, or already done - or is it all done in h/w anyway?
    We weren't able to release the full HDMI audio implementation developed internally -- the data structures relied on some other standards where it wasn't clear we could get rights to use it in open source code -- but we did get the final bit of approval today to release register info for the blocks that control HDMI audio on newer chips. Alex pushed the patch on dri-devel earlier today :

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020717.html

That should include enough info to get the current code working.

DCE5 audio (Northern Islands) is identical to DCE4 audio (evergreen).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    DCE5 audio (Northern Islands) is identical to DCE4 audio (evergreen).
    So HDMI audio support should come in the next weeks/months? Anyways I really enjoy your work and I'm very interested in UVD support (I would like to buy a Trinity/Kaveri laptop), power management and OpenCL. The first two are fundamental for a laptop, so I hope there will be progress in this fields.

hi, new lines of code when they are added to the kernel??
    Thanks

Doesn't look like as included in 3.4-rc1
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020419.html

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    We weren't able to release the full HDMI audio implementation developed internally -- the data structures relied on some other standards where it wasn't clear we could get rights to use it in open source code
    another waste of "Opensource/linux" money.

next is UVD... after you spending dev time and money on it you write something similar:

Future-bridgman: "We weren't able to release the full UVD video implementation developed internally -- the data structures relied on some other standards (DRM-HDCP) where it wasn't clear we could get rights to use it in open source code because it breaks the video-Copy protection."

this all is just a discrimination of opensource users!

it was just the "BIG" plan to hurt "Linux" and "Opensource" in the long "RUN"

you as a manager you just "know" this this is how "Evil" "Dirty" fights going one in the "Business"

and then after the discrimination you blame the "Linux market share" but this is just a Lie because the companys like "AMD" do ALL to LOWER the linux market share!

just tell me how much microsoft pay to AMD to hurt Linux/opensource?

the Xbox chips must be very expensive for microsoft to make this happen.

its funny xbox losers buy a xbox for 200-400€ (and maybe 40-50€ for the amd chip) a PC gamer buy a hd7970 for 500€ but amd chose to support xbox more than the "PC"

Business as usual ......... and you bridgman you are the "Clown" for the distraction maybe the linux people don't recognise the discrimination

please delete your "Phoronix" account.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    please delete your "Phoronix" account.
    I don't think accounts can be deleted like that. As an alternative, how about if you set "ignore" for my username and I do the same for yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't think accounts can be deleted like that. As an alternative, how about if you set "ignore" for my username and I do the same for yours ?
    i life in the "Reality" because of this i do have ZERO names on my "Ignore" list

and i do not understand why people want to life in a "reduced real world"

anyway we will see the same for the UVD unit.

your work is "Hopeless"

just tell me why do you waste "our" opensource money on hopeless missions ?