Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: Northern Islands HDMI audio?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    It's frustrating how difficult this seems to be for ATI/AMD. Sometimes I think we would be better off with a reverse engineered driver where the developers hack what they can and don't have to wait years for some legal review at AMD.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barkas View Post
    It's frustrating how difficult this seems to be for ATI/AMD. Sometimes I think we would be better off with a reverse engineered driver where the developers hack what they can and don't have to wait years for some legal review at AMD.
    Not sure I understand. The info has already been released AFAIK, it's "just" a question of getting that information integrated into the driver.

    I say "just" not to trivialize it, but to distinguish that effort from IP review and release.

    If you're talking about the audio driver (not our area but maybe we can help) the spec I was talking about was Intel HD Audio aka Azalia. I was told there was an update to the public spec in 2010 which added multichannel support but I haven't had a chance to look at the actual docs yet.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    If you're talking about the audio driver (not our area but maybe we can help) the spec I was talking about was Intel HD Audio aka Azalia. I was told there was an update to the public spec in 2010 which added multichannel support but I haven't had a chance to look at the actual docs yet.
    Then you must mean:
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/xa/...ification.html
    (updated June 17, 2010).

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Yeah, but I was told it was a v2 update (instead of 1.0a), and when I looked in the change log for the doc most of the entries were pretty cryptic. I haven't had time to sit down and diff the two docs to see what was actually added.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure I understand. The info has already been released AFAIK, it's "just" a question of getting that information integrated into the driver.

    I say "just" not to trivialize it, but to distinguish that effort from IP review and release.

    If you're talking about the audio driver (not our area but maybe we can help) the spec I was talking about was Intel HD Audio aka Azalia. I was told there was an update to the public spec in 2010 which added multichannel support but I haven't had a chance to look at the actual docs yet.
    Just generalized frustration. I was stupid enough to again buy an ATI GPU and progress is so painfully slow. In fact, when the ATI drivers was ok, the nouveau driver wasn't even there. Now, I am told the Nouveau driver is better than the ATI driver even though it's reverse engineered and the ATI one is supported by the manufacturer.

    This evergreen / NI HDMI audio debacle is just an example of how long it takes to integrate a basic feature.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barkas View Post
    Just generalized frustration. I was stupid enough to again buy an ATI GPU and progress is so painfully slow. In fact, when the ATI drivers was ok, the nouveau driver wasn't even there. Now, I am told the Nouveau driver is better than the ATI driver even though it's reverse engineered and the ATI one is supported by the manufacturer.

    This evergreen / NI HDMI audio debacle is just an example of how long it takes to integrate a basic feature.
    AMD was "always" quite clear about features they're working on. We knew since years to not expect official HDMI audio or UVD support. On the other hand noone is making any problems to include support for such things coming from independent developers and RE.
    That's quite perfect for me. They do great job around basics and RE guys can focus on few specific things only. If we had to RE everything, radeon wouldn't be in it's current state for few next years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •