Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Northern Islands HDMI audio?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,404

    Default

    That patch just adds the correct register defines, to replace the current reverse-engineered info. It doesn't change functionality on its own but it provides programming info which should help with the remaining work.

    Alex emailed two more patches to dri-devel; one which fixes interrupts and another which needs more work so was pushed to agd5f's repo rather than upstream kernel.

    interrupts : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020855.html

    the rest : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020857.html

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    That patch just adds the correct register defines, to replace the current reverse-engineered info. It doesn't change functionality on its own but it provides programming info which should help with the remaining work.

    Alex emailed two more patches to dri-devel; one which fixes interrupts and another which needs more work so was pushed to agd5f's repo rather than upstream kernel.

    interrupts : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020855.html

    the rest : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020857.html
    this means : stereo only without 7.1 sound.

    i can read the computer magazines : linux only support stereo in HDMI and windows is sooo great multichannel 7.1...

    yes your plan to lower the linux market share works!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    this means : stereo only without 7.1 sound.

    i can read the computer magazines : linux only support stereo in HDMI and windows is sooo great multichannel 7.1...

    yes your plan to lower the linux market share works!
    Q seems to be correct.

    Intel has 5.1 HDMI audio working in opensource driver: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...playPort-Audio

    AMD not. Why? What IP can be under question if Intel does that since two years already?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Q seems to be correct.

    Intel has 5.1 HDMI audio working in opensource driver: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...playPort-Audio

    AMD not. Why? What IP can be under question if Intel does that since two years already?
    the audio compression of the digital 7.1 output is handles by the (UVD) stars micro controller also is DRM/Copyprotection tainted

    this means the community need to reverse engineering the stuff to get 7.1 amd can't release the code because "Law and Order"

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the audio compression of the digital 7.1 output is handles by the (UVD) stars micro controller also is DRM/Copyprotection tainted

    this means the community need to reverse engineering the stuff to get 7.1 amd can't release the code because "Law and Order"
    IF community reverse engineers 7.1 codec chip, AMD will be forced to DMCA it. This will not prevent it to appear outside USA, but will surely prevent it to be included in vanilla ALSA.

    This is very bad approach.

    AMD, mind you - Audio IS NOT only-and-only part of copy protection. We game in 7.1. We do our music in multichannel.

    This is just as wrong as to prevent any hardware video acceleration, because SMALL PART of that accelerated video is content protected.

    Mind you VIDEO ADS are non-contentprotected.

    This is simply banal. You are PREVENTING humanity to live, because 5% become criminals. Build a jail for your criminals!!! Dont jail everyone! Im speechless. Reminds me of softmodems.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Hello, I just need enough for stereo audio functions including all northen islands

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the audio compression of the digital 7.1 output is handles by the (UVD) stars micro controller also is DRM/Copyprotection tainted

    this means the community need to reverse engineering the stuff to get 7.1 amd can't release the code because "Law and Order"
    They probably can not supply the decoder, but it's not needed. Either it can work in bitstreaming mode where it simply passes encoded packets to an external decoder, or it can work in LPCM 5.1/7.1 mode where the audio is decoded first but that can be done in software and sent directly to the output. In either case you do not need UVD, but you need the information to program the HDMI port. However, their internal implementation probably includes support for PAP - protected audio path - so yes there are DRM issues, just not UVD-related issues...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Everything you'd need is in the register headers we released. You need to parse the supported audio information from the monitor and set up the sound driver appropriately to send multi-channel and finally, specify the audio format being sent to the monitor in the hdmi packets that the graphics driver sends. The graphics driver is really just a go-between the monitor and the sound card. The graphics driver is responsible for passing the monitor's audio capabilities to the sound card and then telling the monitor what format the sound card is sending.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Rafał Miłecki had done a great job, hope he wants to complete.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I wish NI HDMI audio catches 3.5 merge window.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •