Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposals To Split KMS & GPU Drivers, 2D Kernel API

Hybrid View

Default Proposals To Split KMS & GPU Drivers, 2D Kernel API

Phoronix: Proposals To Split KMS & GPU Drivers, 2D Kernel API

Following a "Kernel Display and Video API Consolidation" mini-summit held at the Emebedded Linux Conference (ELC 2012) last week, Linaro and other mobile/embedded Linux stakeholders have come up with several graphics-related action items for the Linux kernel. One of the proposals is to split KMS and GPU drivers in the kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MDM

Would this also allow to implement KMS in closed source drivers?

Anyway, I always wondered how it could be "impossible" to implement KMS in the proprietary drivers. Maybe someone can help me with that.

Shouldn't it always be possible to implement KMS as a thin wrapper around a closed-source shared library? Why should it be impossible to implement this in closed source drivers? I really can't imagine a way how this is possible...
    (Note: I have never looked at KMS code or something like that. I tried to, but diddn't understand to much of it, as I'm not a driver developer).

Quote Originally Posted by b3nn0 View Post
    Would this also allow to implement KMS in closed source drivers?

Anyway, I always wondered how it could be "impossible" to implement KMS in the proprietary drivers. Maybe someone can help me with that.

Shouldn't it always be possible to implement KMS as a thin wrapper around a closed-source shared library? Why should it be impossible to implement this in closed source drivers? I really can't imagine a way how this is possible...
    (Note: I have never looked at KMS code or something like that. I tried to, but diddn't understand to much of it, as I'm not a driver developer).
    Closed source drivers SUCKS...

Congratulations. You have been awarded with the Most Qualified Comment Award.
    I have to agree though, closed source drivers suck. But it's good if they work when you need them.

Well, nouvou simply doesn't work for me.
    Can't set a resolution. Artifacts. Crashes. I had a hard time to even install the binary blob because nouveau permanently crashed.

However, I just love KMS. So i think it would never be a loss to make it possible to be implemented in closed source drivers.

Anyway... my question is still not answered.

All these highly qualified comments everywhere..
    Personally, open source drivers cause a lot more problems for me. Including crashes, low performance, loud fans, artifacts, etc...

I would love to see good open source drivers. But right now, they just can't compete to the proprietary drivers in a technical sense.

EDIT: asdx: I have reported bugs from time to time. But with my new GFX card, it's just impossible to do so. Even simple stuff like using "dmesg" results in crashes from time to time. I can't even gather information I could report (And well, according to http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix most of that stuff is not even supposed to work on the later fermi cards yet. So I guess the developers are aware of the problems. Having a new GTX 570, btw).
    Refering to KMS and multihead mostly. Just for information: I was using Oibaf's PPA for the latest Mesa.
    Last edited by b3nn0; 02-22-2012 at 11:26 AM.

asdx: We posted at about the same time. See my EDIT: in the post above.

1: It crasehs before networking is even up
    2: I already reported a bug and included as much information as possible including a demonstration video. Nobody in the freedesktop bugzilla seems to care however.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    When you get a crash you should try to SSH into the affected machine and run dmesg, get all the logs you can and file a bug.

But make sure you have sshd in the affected machine.
    Some people want to get work done and don't want to spend 45 minutes a day using two machines and SSH to debug someone else's broken code. The OS community has shown that it's unable to field a reasonable team of graphics driver developers, so now it's up to the users to do the work. That might fly among the hobbiests (I've done my share), but it's not really a good way to run a software project.

Quote Originally Posted by siride View Post
    Some people want to get work done and don't want to spend 45 minutes a day using two machines and SSH to debug someone else's broken code. The OS community has shown that it's unable to field a reasonable team of graphics driver developers, so now it's up to the users to do the work. That might fly among the hobbiests (I've done my share), but it's not really a good way to run a software project.
    sorry I missed the bit where you paid me for the software you feel so entitled to.

Dave.