Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Default Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Phoronix: Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Last week I posted an image quality comparison of the Radeon Gallium3D driver versus AMD's Catalyst Linux driver to highlight some visual differences between the open and closed-source Radeon graphics drivers. Now here's a look between the Nouveau Gallium3D driver and NVIDIA's proprietary Linux graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MDU

wow the Nouveau team really do a good job i can not see a different.

not like the radeon vs catalyst comparison there i can see the wrong colors from the catalyst in a second.

Nouveau looks better, not by much but it is noticeable none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by acrazyplayer View Post
    really?.. ok ..

in what detail exactly ?

Question: when you do stuff like this, could you provide us with
    1) both images in full resolution and not composed together into one image
    2) a diff of both images that highlights the difference in hue/saturation/brightness?
    because like this at least I cannot give an objective comparison of these or say if they are even different at all, except when it comes to harsh stuff like img 1 misses an explosion ... but eg. if texture 328 is a little more smushed on pic a than pic b I could not pin down.

Hey Michael, while I did read you'll soon put better images, as of now I must say current images are pure bullshit! The resolution is so small that no one here should even dare to do a comparison because it would be totally pointless. I'm not sure what's the purpose of this article since the images are totally quality crap it's impossible to do a compare. Maybe generate some hype?

Quote Originally Posted by acrazyplayer View Post
    Really? Both seem pretty much the same thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Hey Michael, while I did read you'll soon put better images, as of now I must say current images are pure bullshit! The resolution is so small that no one here should even dare to do a comparison because it would be totally pointless. I'm not sure what's the purpose of this article since the images are totally quality crap it's impossible to do a compare. Maybe generate some hype?
    In the article it says that there are full quality, fullsize images available. Don't be an asshat.

There's some rough edges around things in Nouveau, mainly affecting the gun in the first two images and the black "border" at the left of the Explosion. Perhaps a shader problem?

What exactly looks better with Nouveau? It's not the easiest to point out, but just doing a quick glance at the pictures my eyes are more drawn to the the upper ones (Nouveau) due to differences in what appears to be contrast. The detail also "seems" to be more detailed but this could be down to the contrast once again. The barrels on the gun in pic 1 look much better on Nouveau simply because of the extra darkness.

The problems are as others state with the small jpgs to go from to tell anything more than that.

Also my monitor is not the best for viewing colors which doens't help much