Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

Default A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

Phoronix: A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

When running some tests on the latest Mesa 8.1-devel Gallium3D code-base for the "R600" Radeon Gallium3D driver, I was surprised by some of the results...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MTA

Default Needs more windows(wine) games tests.

Needs more windows(wine) games tests. Now that would be a surprise. Been hoping for it for quite some time now. Using Mesa 7.9 on x1300 mobility, WoW runs. Using mesa 8.0 on Evergreen hardware (Juniper), it doesn't.

Since wine is doing better with every release, and games start working more and more (Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs), we should see how Mesa handles windows games.

Quote Originally Posted by dekomote View Post
    Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs
    Why? Skyrim renders extremely well on Open Source radeon. The frame rate seems not to be jumpy, but it is still very low. But on low settings it actually is starting to get playable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAd_oFzgU
    There are also videos of Crysis 2 on Open Source radeon that don't look that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_T_xepfW8

It would be nice if those games could be benchmarked by the phoronix testsuite but I guess they would need free to play demos with FPS measurement for that...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Why? Skyrim renders extremely well on Open Source radeon. The frame rate seems not to be jumpy, but it is still very low. But on low settings it actually is starting to get playable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAd_oFzgU
    There are also videos of Crysis 2 on Open Source radeon that don't look that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_T_xepfW8
    Well, Just yesterday I tested out Mesa 8.0 on Arch with 3.2.7 kernel, HD6770, i3-2120, it didn't work. Anything i'm missing out?

Well, Just yesterday I tested out Mesa 8.0 on Arch with 3.2.7 kernel, HD6770, i3-2120, it didn't work. Anything i'm missing out?
    A detailed bug report :-P

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    A detailed bug report :-P
    Don't tease me. I lost half my day yesterday testing out mesa 8.0 Anyway, at least for Wow, the same error that was prior mesa 8.0 is here as well (at least on evergreen hardware). I only need Wow to work... (not for me. for my wife :|)

Needs more windows(wine) games tests. Now that would be a surprise. Been hoping for it for quite some time now. Using Mesa 7.9 on x1300 mobility, WoW runs. Using mesa 8.0 on Evergreen hardware (Juniper), it doesn't.

Since wine is doing better with every release, and games start working more and more (Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs), we should see how Mesa handles windows games.
    I have played WoW on Evergreen, and Fallout 3, Bioshock, Crysis etc. If it doesn't work for you it's either a regression or possibly something hardware specific (I'm using Redwood not Juniper).

@phoronix, two advices for openbenchmarking.org. You might want to change the mouse to a pointer when someone hovers over one of the tabs, and on the tab 'compute performance', you should fix 'runnning' and 'Phoronx'.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    I have played WoW on Evergreen, and Fallout 3, Bioshock, Crysis etc. If it doesn't work for you it's either a regression or possibly something hardware specific (I'm using Redwood not Juniper).
    Can you specify Mesa/wine version? I can't even launch Wow. There's a weird error #132. Same wine, same prefix, works with blob, doesn't work with Mesa. Tried WINEDEBUG, nothing relevant.

I don't recall exact versions (I'm mostly running stuff from git) but it shouldn't matter.

You might want to make sure that you have the proper drivers (especially if you're on a 64bit system).