Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

When running some tests on the latest Mesa 8.1-devel Gallium3D code-base for the "R600" Radeon Gallium3D driver, I was surprised by some of the results...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MTA
    Is this with 2D tiling enabled in DDX too ? Right now mesa 8.1 will enable 2D tiling for texture even if not enabled in the ddx. You can test without 2d tiling set R600_SURF=0 for that (default is 1). Anyway if you enable 2D tiling in the DDX too you will get a bigger boost (depends but vary btw 1% to 5% on things i tried (nexuiz arena tuxracer) compared to only 2d tiled texture)

Quote Originally Posted by dekomote View Post
    Well, Just yesterday I tested out Mesa 8.0 on Arch with 3.2.7 kernel, HD6770, i3-2120, it didn't work. Anything i'm missing out?
    Skyrim? Well, the 6550M is actually a renamed HD 5650M and thus Redwood. I don't have any Cayman card to compare. But my suggestion would be running your stuff with
    Code:
    LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose WINEDEBUG=-all wine foobar.exe
    This should hide all the wine debug output (which also should make wine a little bit faster) and also display whether your 32 bit mesa is actually used.

Default Update on the Wow thing

So, funny story. I was tricked into testing again, but this time, I didn't use the mesa bundled with Arch, yet an unofficial repository with mesa-git. Wow runs with 30FPS on Ultra quality on an HD6770. Apparently the bug is in Arch packages, not mesa itself.

Thanks for the push, guys!

But another problem arose. Running dual head, completely distorts the desktop with xf86-video-ati-git.

Default Heroes of Newerth

You could also do some Heroes oh Newerth Benchmarks!
    Im still not sure if i should buy a AMD E-450 Laptop, cause i dont know if this game would run on such a device.

Heroes of Newerth is free to play and has a native Linux Client! (also a Windows and MacOS 10 Client)

Default The benchmarks Michael uses are incredibly limiting

But it's clear 2D tiling = Good.

I've also seen some recent work by Marek which will hopefully speed up state changes.

Star Trek Online with the 2d tiling patches works niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice on Hemlock.

Quote Originally Posted by dekomote View Post
    Needs more windows(wine) games tests. Now that would be a surprise. Been hoping for it for quite some time now. Using Mesa 7.9 on x1300 mobility, WoW runs. Using mesa 8.0 on Evergreen hardware (Juniper), it doesn't.

Since wine is doing better with every release, and games start working more and more (Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs), we should see how Mesa handles windows games.
    I agree, there needs to be some Windows games tested. I'm all for native Linux games, but people won't care about graphics performance unless their favorite games work on it. There has to be a giant Wine vs Window review. It just needs to be done with both Mesa and Catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    You could also do some Heroes oh Newerth Benchmarks!
    Im still not sure if i should buy a AMD E-450 Laptop, cause i dont know if this game would run on such a device.

Heroes of Newerth is free to play and has a native Linux Client! (also a Windows and MacOS 10 Client)
    You don't want an E series APU as a gaming laptop, get an A series for that. I have an E-450 laptop (MSI Wind U270) but I didn't test any games under Linux, kwin compositing is all I want from it and it works great with the radeon driver.
    However, I did try WoW starter edition under Windows, and it was barely playable, 30 FPS with lowest quality settings. I believe you could expect similar frame-rate with HoN under Linux with the proprietary drivers, but with mesa it would most likely be completely unplayable.
    If you want I can give it a try when I get home tonight and give you the exact numbers.

Hi, did you use tiling ?

R600_TILING=1