Thread: Mesa 8.1-devel On Radeon Gallium3D

Default Mesa 8.1-devel On Radeon Gallium3D

Phoronix: Mesa 8.1-devel On Radeon Gallium3D

Earlier this week I shared a pleasant surprise in Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D with some significant performance improvements to be found in the current Mesa Git code-base for the "R600g" driver in some OpenGL games. In this article is a more diverse look at the current state of Mesa 8.1 development for R600 Gallium3D and comparative benchmarks from every major release going back to Mesa 7.10.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17097

Once again I'm in awe of the team of people pumping out all this graphics goodness! Just phenomenal work you all!

Yep, Ubuntu 12.04 should try using a git snapshot of 8.1 since core games like nexuiz and xonotic aren't playable with 8.0.

Is it compiled with floating point textures/depth buffer and with patented functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Nexuiz is one of the DarkPlaces games where the Mesa 8.1-devel performance is dramatically better. At 1920 x 1080, the frame-rate is up by an amazing 2.7x!
    [...]
    Xonotic also enjoys Mesa 8.1-devel Radeon Gallium3D with its frame-rate more than tripling on this current development code.
    A bit sloppy here. Performance went down ~50% from 7.11 to 8.0, without any explanation. Is that a regression in 8.0 corrected in 8.1? Then the real performance increase in 8.1 is only ~40%. Good progress, no doubt, but well in line with the improvements from 7.10 to 7.11.

Hey Q, where are your article-enhancing comments now, to explain the few interesting observations here (the 50% regression mentioned above, and the slight regressions from 7.10 to 7.11 in OpenArena, Smokin Guns and Tremulous)?

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Hey Q, where are your article-enhancing comments now,
    i use mesa 8.1 and it works well for me for example i do make higher score in HON than ever! HON was just broken for me with the catalyst.

I'm also a KDE user and the radeon driver beats the catalyst in KDE.

also you don't get the point the radeon driver is a fast moving driver tests results right now are obsolete in a week!

So all this article should actually tell us that Mesa is developing? Why then mention that AMAZING 2.7x INCREASE at all?