Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

Default What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

Phoronix: What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

With nearly one month having passed since the release of the highly-anticipated Mesa 8.0, where have you come to realize not full satisfaction with this open-source graphics driver library? What would you like to see improved with the next release, Mesa 8.1?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MzA

r300g:
    • Hyper-Z Enabled by default
    • MSAA

r600g - better power management (runs ~10 degrees hotter than Windows while idling) plus fan speed control.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    Greater OpenGL 3/4 compatibility. While OpenGL 3.0 / GLSL 1.30 support is basically in place with Mesa 8.0, there's still several newer revisions to OpenGL and the OpenGL Shading Language to be addressed. By Mesa 8.1 it looks like Intel hopes to have a large portion of the OpenGL 3.1 specification covered.
    Saying that there's just several new revisions is really understating things. The differences between GL 3.0 and GL 2.1 were a lot smaller than the differences between GL 3.3 and 3.0, not to mention the differences between 4.2 and 3.0.

GL 3.2 will likely be the hardest revision to implement due to the requirement for an entire new geometry pipeline stage. 4.0 will also be hard, but I have a feeling that the various changes necessary to make plugging in new stages will be done during the GS updates, so hopefully that transition will be easier.

Personally, I'd like to see the DSA extension added to Mesa soon. It's available on both AMD's and NVIDIA's drivers, and it's really nice to have.

I'd like to see:

1) H.264 decoding implemented and working on r600 and newer hardware.
    2) Significant OpenGL performace improvements on r600 and newer hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Saying that there's just several new revisions is really understating things. The differences between GL 3.0 and GL 2.1 were a lot smaller than the differences between GL 3.3 and 3.0, not to mention the differences between 4.2 and 3.0.
    No. 3.0-4.2 maybe, but 3.0-3.3 is much smaller.

+1 power management.

While sitting in meetings my laptop is quite noticeably the loudest (even though we all have the same fleet of laptops) because the fans are running at 100%, even when idling.

* +1 for HD7000 support
    * Performance >= Catalyst for GL 2.1 ~ 3.3 workloads
    * Stereoscopic 3D support for HD7970
    * BluRay 3D playback support with hardware decoding

Number of rolleyes = increasing levels of sarcasm / doubt that it'll happen (soon / if ever)

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    * +1 for HD7000 support
    * Performance >= Catalyst for GL 2.1 ~ 3.3 workloads
    * Stereoscopic 3D support for HD7970
    * BluRay 3D playback support with hardware decoding

Number of rolleyes = increasing levels of sarcasm / doubt that it'll happen (soon / if ever)
    yes i also vote for hd7000 support and i vote for power managment.

but i do not have hope for the catalyst... if you wana have openGL2ES performance in apps like KDE then install the radeon driver LOL! --.

and the 3D stuff... there is a high chance that there is a new secret copy protection... and this means no you don't get opensource driver support for it.

Whatever happened to that DX10/11? Probably the one thing I'm hoping to see emerge.