Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mephistopheles: Not All Linux Games Sell Well

Quote Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
    In any case, you guys represent Linux community. And now I clearly see the mentality here. No wonder any sane publisher / developer will not support Linux unless they have successful alpha funding or the game has been released elsewhere and made enough profit.
    That being said, thank you for your support, you just made our life easier and now we see that supporting Linux platform in the future is the priority #last.
    First of all I have all the numbered HumbleBundles, so that includes SS, so you'd know that a client of your game posted. Then, if you came here for help selling your game your are failing at PR big time and you should expect a trolling conversation as long as you alienate your target customers with threats. If Linux gaming is a small thing then it would be easier for you to hear all the gamers speak and make a game that many would find fun and worthy of their hard earned money, because that's really the issue here, their money that you want. And that does not mean to listen to all the things we say and remake Skyrim in Quake, BTW. But DO hear us.

NOTE: Gamers who disagree with many negative opinions expressed here and who would rather not see Kot-in-Action dropping Linux support in the future, should combat trolls in their community.
    'Cause people who would like to buy your game when it looks fun to them and not EXACLY RIGHT NOW are trolls?

You are not a PR guy and it shows, so I don't understand why are you here talking to us, do you have a guy from accounting designing your dungeons too? You need someone you knows how to talk and how to take criticism because YOU as a game developer ( I presume ) are too close to your game and everything regarding the game feels too personal for you, you love your game and this love blinds you, sorry.

i don't know...

"Not All Linux Games Sell Well".... not ANY linux games sell well... to me.
    Or any games for ANY platform, for that matter.

Games are boring. Its much more fun to do things that are PRODUCTIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    "Not All Linux Games Sell Well".... not ANY linux games sell well... to me.
    Or any games for ANY platform, for that matter.

Games are boring. Its much more fun to do things that are PRODUCTIVE.
    You are dead to me.

Lightbulb

I see nothing comparable in the Linux environment so far so its piqued my interest. I would love to see Grimrock come to Linux but nothing has even been discussed so I'm not holding my breath.

Comparing it to AAA titles is unfair. Most AAA titles look beautiful but bore me to tears with the same old rehashed game play. Plus, they are on windows. I would love nothing more to delete my windows partition and never look back. I only keep windows for netflix and videogames.

All that being said, there's just not enough content there to generate a large amount of interest; Its a dungeon crawler, good. I appears to have skeletons, ok. Are there going to be more variation on enemies? Will there be different types of weapons? There just isn't enough there yet to justify any investment.

Also, your timing is unfortunate with the announcements of wasteland 2 and double fine adventure game.

I hope you will stick with it and blow us away in a couple of months. You'll have my money if you do, no question.

Thumbs up

There is FAQ where all these questions you asked are answered:

http://tom.kot-in-action.com/mwiki/i...sked_Questions

Talking

thanks! Looks very cool. Now get that content increased and blow our undies off!

There is FAQ where all these questions you asked are answered:

http://tom.kot-in-action.com/mwiki/i...sked_Questions
    Why does Tomes of Mephistopheles have a download limit?

Unlike some independent games, we are aiming at a AAA level of content. This increases our costs for downloads. Content delivery networks cost a lot and as the game will grow in size, so will our bills. So to keep things affordable, we have this in place.

OMG! My download links have expired because I didn't bother downloading the game after I purchased it, for two weeks. What do I do next?

Contact the developers at support /at/ kot-in-action /dot/ com and ask to reset the expiration date.

How will I get alpha updates if I exceed my download limit?

The updates will be provided as separate downloads. Each of the update files will have its own download limit. Please use the resources wisely, don't waste bandwidth.

Why is it more expensive to buy the game on Desura?

There no such thing as free distribution. Desura charges us hefty fee (I think it's hefty because currently Desura is nothing more than autopatching + storage for the developers, unlike Steam, that actually sells games rather well). We need to maintain our profit margin and therefore it costs more to sell game on Desura, to compensate for the distribution fee.
    So Desura will offer your customers a proper download service that you complain is too expensive to provide yourself and still think that they charge you for nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I don't like this game and I haven't even watched the videos....no need with that atitude. A word of advice. Stop trying to make your games like AAA titles. You don't have the budget! Focus on originality not graphics
    Games are just like movies: Management wants to spit out the same exact thing over and over again, because it's been proven to sell. Why do you think CoD/BF/MoH all haven't had significant gameplay changes in the past decade?

AA studios are where originality comes from, but those studios immediately get taken over once they have an IP worth something. The management at those studios are looking for THEIR payday, so either they want an IP so they can sell, or they want a one-hit wonder (which almost always crashes and burns, but that won't stop them from trying).

Point being, 2% of the market isn't going to drive managements decisions.